Help! T-case won't come off! *resoved*

MY1PATH

I got every thing out of the way (t-bars x member driveshafts etc...) and this moring I unbolted the t-case but it will not come off. I made sure to get every bolt including lifting the tranny off of the x member to get the 2 behind the tranny isolator.

aLL THATS left holding it is sealant (which is also leaking so I figured it woud give e-z) but it will not budge, I put a jack under it and jacked it till the tranny hit the body with no luck. I've tried hammering razorblades into the seam but there is no room, they just chip.

Somone please give me some good ideas before I break something.

Edited by MY1PATH

did you try beating on the TC with a dead blow or using a pry bar to get it loose?...never separated these so I can't offer much useful assistance
I did, It took a little more pesuasion in the end...

I took some heat to the edges of the sealant with propane torch. usining a bolt hole ajacent to the torch I treaded in the bolt all but about 1/8 inch, and gave it a whack. I did this only in a few places as space is limited and I didn't want to burn wires. Ther was no visible change but when I stuck a jack handle between the FWD outputshaft and the Tranny member and pryed at it started dripping so I yanked really hard and I got an 1/8" gap. After its done pissing I'll pull the bolt back out and see if I can slide it off the tranny w/o hurting myself.

thanks,

Our property owner is threatening to kick ppl out for this sort of thing so when I hit my first small bump I took a break and posted here just incase I couldn't get it soon.

Edited by MY1PATH

Also, for those of you wondering, I took a few picutures.

This is what the 4x4 F5R30A Manual transmission (the 2wd F5R30A has a differant back) looks like with the T-case off. As you can see its open; the mainshfts and gearshaft bearings have no seals on them so sealing the T-case is very important or your tanny will leak. There is a gear pump that fills a gutter, the gutter pours directly at the splines where the MT output/Tx10 input shafts interlock. Most the crud the gets to the pump (mostly shavings & syncrodust....) sinks to the pont that my finger is showing on in the pic and says there since the oil has to go UP in order to circulate back into the tranny. I had 1/4" of crud to scrape out b4 sealing.

th_MT4x4FSR30Aback.jpg

next is the front side of the t-case. the seal I am pointing to must be replaced form the inside meaning a full t-case srvice since there are 3 sections to be disassembled in order to get to it. If this seal has failed your MT will leak into your t-case and over fill your t-case. If it seeps a little with age its a good Idea to run the same fluid in the t-case as the tranny to aviod in-compatible fluid mixing. And if you were wondering the Tx10a weighs 110LBS when its empty.

th_TX10aFront.jpg

Clean up the sealant and I'll be ready to install my spare tx10a that I have already re-built.

Lastly since its in plain sight I wanted to check on the alignment of my Custom Built short throw shifter. It has not had any issues since I made & installed it in DEC'08 and I'm sure my measurements were dead on;

th_shortthorwalignementbottom.jpg

Sure enough (hard to tell in the pic) the nylon control lever(shifter) bushing sits centered in the contol linkage making maximum contact with the linkage and no binding. Here's 2 slides on the sifter I made;

th_ShortthrowASSY.jpg th_Shortthrowinstalled.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

*sigh*

One of the Equity Residential (property owner)trucks stopped by my house today...

Fortualtely the t-case was back in and I only had a tire off. I told her I was reversing some bolts so they come out easier in the future* she gave me a "pollicy reminder" with 2 days to finish and not work on my vehicle again on the property. I guess things coulda been worse but its still frustraignting having this stupid policy.

Actally its kinda sweet! I made it this far w/o being noticed and I'm more than a day ahead of planned schedule. All I have left is to put the t-bars back and crank it to where it was.

*I did not tell her the t-bars were out and that they were front axle bolts that rquire the t-bars and LCA's to be out in order to be reversed. I got that done and now the LCA's and t-bars can stay put If I ever need to pull my front diff.

Glad you didn't get busted. I've lived in places like that before and it can be a problematic. I had an assistant manager try to warn me because I was changing a flat tire in the parking lot. She seemed to think that I had to get the truck towed or pull it off of the property to change the tire. I got that straightened out, but how stupidly rigid do you have to be to rationalize that? I was tempted to let the air out of her tire and hang out to se how it was handled... P...

B