exhaust stud dilemma...should i...?

DSM_guy

well, after doing much reading on here (place is great and very helpfull BTW :cool2: ) i learned about the exhaust mani studs sometimes snapping off. well, i noticed a rattle and took off my heatshield. sure enough the very last stud on teh pass side had snapped its nut off and had about 1/4" of stud sticking out of the flange. about 2 hours later manned with vice grips i ended up backing the entire stud out sucessfully. now..here is my dilemma should i

1. go to auto parts store and get replacement stud and nut...torque it all back down while keeping the stock mani

or

2. wait...get headers and replace all studs at once?

the reason i ask is i dont know how badly my flanges are warped...and i dont want the stud to break off INSIDE the head this time. or am i pretty safe now that it is warped...so it shouldent do much moving. my pathy rarely gets driven...so its not a big big issue. i plan on headers eventually...but financially this is not the time to do it. so do i bite the bullet and replace everything.....or just replace the stud?

TIA!

The other day I ordered this stuff called Thermosteel. It's kinda like JB Weld except it withstands temps of 2500 degrees. I put it on the leak on my manifold yesterday (I know, I'm a cheap SOB) My Pathy sounds like a brand new truck now. I'm not sure how long it will last, but I'll keep you posted.

well, looks like im gonna have to hit up the Nissan house to get a new stud. i cant find them at any auto parts stores...none are the right size and their either all for hondas or chevy's.

which brings me to my next conclusion (off topic). honda is the chevolet of japan. think about it...you go into the auto parts store they have tons and tons of stuff for hondas, and chevy's....and only 1-2 things for other car makes. grrr

<end rant>

well, looks like im gonna have to hit up the Nissan house to get a new stud. i cant find them at any auto parts stores...none are the right size and their either all for hondas or chevy's.

ACE is the place. i bet you can find one there... for now, a bolt will work just fine too.

Pathfinder Phil is using Grade 5 hex head bolts instead of studs and he has reported good results. The theory was that the Grade 8 or 10.8 metric bolts were too brittle and don't take the heat/cool cycle as well, even though their tensile strength rating was higher. The bolts don't need to be torqued down all that much to begin with.

Well, I'm at 280 miles and the "Thermosteel" fix is still holding strong. No retailers in my area (Waterloo, Iowa) sold it, so I had to order it from JC Whitney. It's made by Cargo Chemicals. If you're looking for a cheap fix, this is it.