HI from OK

magoh76

Hi! I actually joined last week but haven't had a chance to post yet. My name is David, and about two weeks ago a friend gave me his 1991 Pathfinder SE. It's automatic and seems to have been loaded once upon a time - power everything, adjustable suspension, etc. Now it is missing some pieces and in need of a lot of TLC. It still has the original engine, with almost 300k miles! The previous owner replace the transmission about 100k ago. I'm a total Pathfinder newbie, so hopefully I can find some help here.

Here's the rundown of it's problems:

• Needs new shocks
  • Nerf bars are rusted (will probably just remove them)
  • Passenger door panel has been removed. I have it, but most of the clips are missing and the holes they go in are torn.
  • Rear left fender has been hit
  • This makes the lift gate rattle.
  • Rust in various places
  • Something is in the vents making it rattle when I try to run the fan.
  • Various gauges and switches not working.
  • Can't open doors with the key... if I lock it I have to open the liftgate and crawl in from the back.
  • Various interior trim pieces missing

My goal is first to just make it a reliable vehicle, then work on making it more off-road capable. I'm also thinking about swapping out the engine. I will have to do all this as I have money (I'm self-employed as of a month ago, and budget is "constrained" at the moment). Like I said, it's rough, but hey, it was free (and I needed a truck)!

If anybody has parts to sell/give away that sound like they might help please contact me!

Also, I would appreciate any advice on what to do first as far as upping the capabilities off road, on a budget. In the meantime I will be using the search button a lot.

I am still learning a lot of things about working on vehicles, (late bloomer in this area) but have great help available from my dad and friends who are much more wrench-capable than me.

I'm grateful I found this forum, hopefully I can contribute some as well as take.

post-19671-1243021399_thumb.jpg

hey welcome!

The thing in the vent is probably leaves blowing around. You can clean that compartment out pretty easily. You take the glove box off and then there is a access panel right there that you take the cover off and clean it out. It is a good idea in general becasue it has been known to start fires if stuff is left in there. You might have to drop the blower motor too sometimes it can get stuck in the blade on the blower motor(thats what happened to me) it is located under the box described above. It was like 3 or 4 screws and it droped down.

Let me know what trim peices are missing i might be able to get them for you. Also what guages dont work? Personal Message about the parts.

Edited by edicer2

Here's the rundown of it's problems:
  • Needs new shocks
  • Nerf bars are rusted (will probably just remove them)

• Passenger door panel has been removed. I have it, but most of the clips are missing and the holes they go in are torn.

• Rear left fender has been hit
  • This makes the lift gate rattle.

• Rust in various places
  • Something is in the vents making it rattle when I try to run the fan.

• Various gauges and switches not working.

• Can't open doors with the key... if I lock it I have to open the liftgate and crawl in from the back.
  • Various interior trim pieces missing

My goal is first to just make it a reliable vehicle, then work on making it more off-road capable. I'm also thinking about swapping out the engine. I will have to do all this as I have money (I'm self-employed as of a month ago, and budget is "constrained" at the moment). Like I said, it's rough, but hey, it was free (and I needed a truck)!

If anybody has parts to sell/give away that sound like they might help please contact me!

Also, I would appreciate any advice on what to do first as far as upping the capabilities off road, on a budget. In the meantime I will be using the search button a lot.

I am still learning a lot of things about working on vehicles, (late bloomer in this area) but have great help available from my dad and friends who are much more wrench-capable than me.

I'm grateful I found this forum, hopefully I can contribute some as well as take.

Congrats on the gift mate, welcome to the madness. Judging by the list above, I'd say she is already fit for wheeling.

About your locks-

I have this issue with my drivers door...the little metal flap that keeps dirt and stuff out broke off last year, and is somewhere in the lock, so after you jam the key in, you gotta wiggle it back and forth to get it to unlock...this may be your issue, idk how you would fix it, but it may help in diagnosing it...or you can swap out the locks :\

If you haven't already, check out the rear frame for rusting....and also under the rear bench seats...

And don't underestimate the power of nerf bars....if i had some i wouldn't have a big dent in my door and a messed up rockerpanel ;)

WELCOME!