For those of you who have done the Calmini Lift...

Pros: (the first 2 are the biggest IMO)

• Well the calmini uses a Very Beefy 3/8 plate design for the UCA
  • Calmini uses its own bushing and "fulcrum sleeve" This sleeve Is machined to make allot more contact with the fulcrum pin on the UCA spindle. Other UCA's re-use the stock bushings & sleves. The stock sleeves only make contanct on the inner most edge of the spindle.(not very much bearing surface)
  • The UCA's come with NEW Ball joints (greaseable ones now)
  • They offer a Complete kit for those who want to do it all @ once and keep it simple.
  • I hear their shocks are pretty decent in this kit.

Con's:

• The UCA's are designed to clear their shocks, If you run something large like rancho they will dent the tube on bottom out.(linky)
  • Material prep is bad; the welds on the UCA's look good but they left slag on it and prolly didn't prep it b4 powdercoating over the slag-balls. I expect they will need a proper re-coating in the future
  • $$$ the UCA's do come w/ BJ's and new bushing set-up so that does offset the cost a little and yes its heavier materials but the cost is still HIGHer than others and when you cosider poor material prep after welding and bad coustoemer serive/support it makes it seem not as worth it.
  • the cutout for the BJ (like mine) isn't perfectly aligned. My BJ shims sloved that problem but others may have to bevel the BJ hole a little with a dremel.
  • SQUEAKY SQUEAKY SQUEAKY or so everyone says most have just installed grease fittings...In 2006 IIRC they swithched to a "vecton"(vekton?) bushing(they used to use derlin bushings). I used "Energy Suspensiong Formula 5" grease and no squeaks yet (1 month) I expect this super thick grease combined with the newer bushings may have resolved this issue.
  • Poor coustomer service and product support.
  • stock washers are re-used but the inner ones have to be ground down in order to be istalled with smaller bushings.

All in all I really wanted the Beefy design and was ready to takcle the con's for it. when I go-rancho I'll be trimming the UCA's to fit them and geting them re-powdercoated.

edit:

and so far I am very happy with my UCA's

edit:

12Feb2011 Still no squeaks after 18 months.

Edited by MY1PATH

Pros: (the first 2 are the biggest IMO)
  • Well the calmini uses a Very Beefy 3/8 plate design for the UCA
  • Calmini uses its own bushing and "fulcrum sleeve" This sleeve Is machined to make allot more contact with the fulcrum pin on the UCA spindle. Other UCA's re-use the stock bushings & sleves. The stock sleeves only make contanct on the inner most edge of the spindle.(not very much bearing surface)
  • The UCA's come with NEW Ball joints (greaseable ones now)
  • They offer a Complete kit for those who want to do it all @ once and keep it simple.
  • I hear their shocks are pretty decent in this kit.

Con's:

• The UCA's are designed to clear their shocks, If you run something large like rancho they will dent the tube on bottom out.(linky)
  • Material prep is bad; the welds on the UCA's look good but they left slag on it and prolly didn't prep it b4 powdercoating over the slag-balls. I expect they will need a proper re-coating in the future
  • $$$ the UCA's do come w/ BJ's and new bushing set-up so that does offset the cost a little and yes its heavier materials but the cost is still HIGHer than others and when you cosider poor material prep after welding and bad coustoemer serive/support it makes it seem not as worth it.
  • the cutout for the BJ (like mine) isn't perfectly aligned. My BJ shims sloved that problem but others may have to bevel the BJ hole a little with a dremel.
  • SQUEAKY SQUEAKY SQUEAKY or so everyone says most have just installed grease fittings...In 2006 IIRC they swithched to a "vecton"(vekton?) bushing(they used to use derlin bushings). I used "Energy Suspensiong Formula 5" grease and no squeaks yet (1 month) I expect this super thick grease combined with the newer bushings may have resolved this issue.
  • Poor coustomer service and product support.
  • stock washers are re-used but the inner ones have to be ground down in order to be istalled with smaller bushings.

All in all I really wanted the Beefy design and was ready to takcle the con's for it. when I go-rancho I'll be trimming the UCA's to fit them and geting them re-powdercoated.

edit:

and so far I am very happy with my UCA's

Now that is what i call a response! Dude your awesome!

So long story short,Is it worth saving my pennies for,Or should i build up to it?

I've been thinking about doing the JGC and cracked T-bars setup for the time being. What would the advantages of the calmini vs. doing that be?

Forgive my HORRID n00bness. this is my first 4x4 build (Though not my first truck) and i don't want to destroy it unintentionally.

Edited by KailEkonen

So long story short,Is it worth saving my pennies for,Or should i build up to it?

I've been thinking about doing the JGC and cracked T-bars setup for the time being. What would the advantages of the calmini vs. doing that be?

Forgive my HORRID n00bness. this is my first 4x4 build (Though not my first truck) and i don't want to destroy it unintentionally.

Calmini is gonna be better (I think) cause its a full kit and your replacing the parts that have gotten weak with time.

Where is all your doing with Cranking the aged T-bars and swapping aged springs with aged springs....

Plus once you go get your car aligned they generally crank the T-bars down....

yeah,it sounds like the calmini is the way to go. First i have to get the body sound. Thank goodness my frame is still rock solid. I'm treating it to a thorough cleaning and some new rhino lining to save it from rust.

yeah,it sounds like the calmini is the way to go. First i have to get the body sound. Thank goodness my frame is still rock solid. I'm treating it to a thorough cleaning and some new rhino lining to save it from rust.

Sounds like a plan! I am planning on doing that to mine as well...

Calmini is gonna be better (I think) cause its a full kit and your replacing the parts that have gotten weak with time.

Where is all your doing with Cranking the aged T-bars and swapping aged springs with aged springs....

Plus once you go get your car aligned they generally crank the T-bars down....

Algnment shops usually don't touch t-bars unless you tell them to return it to factory ride height.

the stock t-bars (even 20yrs old) may have nothing wrong with them. Keep in mind the calmini is 15% stiffer, if thats not what you want that's 2 less things to replace, 6 less bolt bolts to get stuck and 4 less splines you may have to beat on....

If you do the whole kit then it will... I belive it's 3" or 3.5".... Not sure...

the calmini kit is 2.5-3". 3.5" would lock up the CV joints w/o a diff drop

I went calmini UCA's and new XJ 3" lift coils, they are softer than stock provide and about $20 less than calmini coils. then I did rancho 9000's(99112) in the rear. rides really good once I put the rancho's in. (stock kept topping out till the valving was destroyed)

Edited by MY1PATH