Better Late Than Never

Taoism

Hello Everyone. I never posted here when I registered for some reason, and decided I should get around to it finally.

My name is Tim. I currently live in Wyoming, Gillette to be exact. I am currently going to school and work part time as a hockey referee in the winter time. I have worked as a mechanic in the past, fixing Saab's, and Volkswagons, as well as being a cnc machinist for many years. I have also been employed as a computer technician and still do tech work on the side. I have built a ton of vehicles from other peoples cast-offs or abandoned projects in the past(mostly VW's), as well as a cpl out of straight bodies found in junkyards.

I was looking for a decent winter vehicle recently and a barmaid at a local bar offered me a 91 Pathfinder she had in her yard for $400. She said it had hit a deer, needing some body work, and needed the transmission (supposedly just rebuilt) reinstall finished. Her husband had apparently paid someone else to do the job and about halfway through the job the guy just disappeared.

So I went and looked at it and decided it was a do-able project. Had 155k on it, a few hail dings, and not much rust underneath. I ended up getting the pathfinder for $300 and it sat in a friends garage for a few months till the weather got nicer. I putzed around with it a bit and took the damaged sheet metal and bumper off and spent a lot of time getting things together to fix it's various issues and reading forums researching things I could do or should do.

Now I have it in my driveway and work is beginning in earnest.

currently planned(ie: have the parts and/or tools)

rough country UCAs

sway away torsion bars

JGC rear coils

timing belt and tensioner pulley

water pump

LCA bushings

tension arm bushings

Gibson cat-back exhaust

nerf bars

aftermarket stereo/speakers

hood

passenger side frt fender

radiator support

tailights

remove all A/C componants

relocate alternator to A/C compressor location

remove tow hitch

I am taking pictures as I go along and eventually I will start a thread and share some pics of my progress.

Welcome!! That's a bit of a list, not not bad when starting with a $300 vehicle. It'll be in great shape when you are done.

Sounds like you know what you are doing so good luck!!

B

• 3 weeks later...

A quick question are you planning on making this an off road vehicle?

If so I suggest sliders instead of nerf bars and keeping the tow hitch. The nerf bars will only bend and cause more damage if you hit something off road, and unless you plan on installing a custom rear bumper the tow hitch is your only safe rear attachment point for off road recovery.

Welcome to NPORA! Hope we can help you out with anything you need! WAVEY

If so I suggest sliders instead of nerf bars and keeping the tow hitch. The nerf bars will only bend and cause more damage if you hit something off road, and unless you plan on installing a custom rear bumper the tow hitch is your only safe rear attachment point for off road recovery.

That kinda depends..if he will be encountering rocks and that stuff, then sliders>nerf bars, but if hes doing light offroad adventures through state trails or something, where he will only be encountering things hitting it (like branches flinging up) then maybe cheapo j/y nerfs may be a more suitable option?

just my .02c, as my door/rockerpanel damage is from things swinging up and hitting my sides, not so much landing on a rock, and nerf bars woulda stopped it from swinging up

Welcome ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, back on the net after a cpl weeks downtime waiting for warranty/RMA on my hard drive.

The nerf bars are just a temporary thing, a stop gap if you will. They were cheap, 20 bucks each at the local J/Y. To be honest the most purpose they will probably serve this year is somewhere to knock snow and mud off my feet getting into the vehicle. Rock sliders are in my plans for the future, as is a custom bumper in the rear. Just a question of funds at the moment.

A front bumper with some beef to it, and protection for the grill/lights is more pressing for me, considering the number of deer,antelope, and other random things one might encounter on the roads around here, both paved and otherwise. At the rate I am getting things done this project will be ready to drive for the winter, which is really what I bought it for. The fact that Pathfinders turn out to be quite capable off-road is just a bonus.

Definitly gonna take a bit more work to get it to the state I would like before any serious wheeling happens.