DOH

zerenix

So, a few days ago did timing belt/water pump/cam seals on my pathfinder. Got a new tensioner, put the belt on counted the teeth, etc. Well put it back together let it run for a little bit, and it seemed to be runnin fine so I took it for a test drive.. about a minute later the engine sound like a tractor, and I turned around and parked it in the garage. Took it apart again.. and find out I didn't tighten the drivers side cam sprocket enough and it slipped. Broke off the thing it sits on behind it and the belt obviously slipped. So... what is my best course of action? What needs to be checked and most likely replaced?

If you could take a picture and post it, that would make it easier to say what needs to be replaced. But, the gear is attached to the camshaft. If it broke, you may of made a large mess. Right away, it sounds like a camshaft, and probably valves. But, if the valves hit the pistions, then possibly more. Maybe a new motor. Take a pic and lets go from there.

Heres the front of the camshaft.

dscf1638x.th.jpg

Start by popping off that head. It is most likely junk so start looking for another.

Look at the heads of the pistons. If they are not obvioulsy broken, or dented from the valves and there is black carbon on them, clean that off and look for cracks.

If the pistons pass, check the other cam sprocket and cam interface for cracks. Also do the same for the tensioner and pump pulley. They may have gotten some weird torque from the incident. Replace the belt with a new one.

put it back to gether and go!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so got a new camshaft, pulled it apart got it back together today then tried to start it. Well it starts, on the first try, but it runs like crap constant fluctuation in rpm's, sounds like its misfiring.. While pulling it apart I ripped two hoses. One thats on top of the valve cover on the passenger side and, a small one that connects to the plenum into a something that is shaped like a circle and sits by where I would imagine the steering wheel to be in the engine bay. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, as I'm pretty sure all my electrical connections are right and my hoses are right. No left over bolts or parts...

i'm with 87...if the cam sprocket slipped you probably bent some valves...do a compression check and that should let you know if you have a bent valve...another good sign would be to smell the exhaust and if it smells like unburnt fuel the chances are you're either way out of time or have a bent valve...I have a couple sets of heads if that is the case and we could work something out

Actually I had no bent valves when I took it apart as I checked :P I had finally got it al back together and it wasn't running or idling smoothly... luckily theres the internet! I hadn't done the ignition timing after I got it all back together therefore making it running like crap, so today I did it properly and behold! It now runs beautifully. I'm glad to have it back, was definitely a learning experience.