Steering system

Hi everyone, I just learned that the R50 uses a rack and pinion steering system as opposed to a steering gearbox used in a WD21. I am considering buying an R50 and was just wondering how durable the rack and pinion system of the R50 is. In our country, cars that use this system tend to break down fast - rack end loosens up and steering bushings are easily crushed by the bad roads that we have and oil seals are easily broken - hence it becomes noisy and leaky. Many of you have gone off roading with these rigs. Could someone please enlighten me on this? I have never seen a rack and pinion used in a 4x4 before. Hope to hear from you. Thanks.

I've beat on my R50 off-road pretty hard, and the rack and pinion has held up so far! I have about 159,000 miles on mine, with many miles off-road. Surprisingly, I've never bent a tie rod, and the rack itself is still in great shape. I think my P/S pump is starting to die, though.

The rubber bushings holding the rack to the crossmember eventually crack and wear out, especially the bushing directly under the oil filter, which breaks down faster due to frequent contact with motor oil when the filter is changed. But overall, I have not seen any bad seals on the rack itself. From time to time, you will need to replace the inner tie rod sockets.

Yup, the bushing below the oil filter deteriorates quite rapidly once it comes in contact with motor oil.

I have my replacement bushings ready, which I plan to get done as soon as I can. I sprayed the new ones with silicone spray which should help keep them protected from the elements and dirt. I did the same to my CV axle boots and they've held up quite well despite the salty, dirty winters here in Winnipeg.

As for the R50 steering system, I agree with Dean completely. Although it's a rack/pinion system, it's quite durable and has faired well to what I've thrown at my truck off the pavement. The R50's front end is very much car influenced. All things considered, it's proven quite versatile (despite what some people might have you think).

• 2 weeks later...
Yup, the bushing below the oil filter deteriorates quite rapidly once it comes in contact with motor oil.

I have my replacement bushings ready, which I plan to get done as soon as I can. I sprayed the new ones with silicone spray which should help keep them protected from the elements and dirt. I did the same to my CV axle boots and they've held up quite well despite the salty, dirty winters here in Winnipeg.

As for the R50 steering system, I agree with Dean completely. Although it's a rack/pinion system, it's quite durable and has faired well to what I've thrown at my truck off the pavement. The R50's front end is very much car influenced. All things considered, it's proven quite versatile (despite what some people might have you think).

Where did you get your bushings? I think mine need replacing. What are the symptoms? Thanks

Edited by RonNC

Where did you get your bushings? I think mine need replacing. What are the symptoms? Thanks

Nissan dealership is where I got 'em. Luckily, I didn't pay for them. :D

Symptons are cracks/splits and general deterioriation. If you let them get too far-gone, there can be pretty significant play in the steering.

Although my left bushing is starting to look pretty bad, the right side is still fine. I do plan on installing the new ones before too long; I just need access to power tools as the bolts are pretty snug behemoths.

Nissan dealership is where I got 'em. Luckily, I didn't pay for them. :D

Symptons are cracks/splits and general deterioriation. If you let them get too far-gone, there can be pretty significant play in the steering.

Although my left bushing is starting to look pretty bad, the right side is still fine. I do plan on installing the new ones before too long; I just need access to power tools as the bolts are pretty snug behemoths.

Thanks tekazgtr1984,

My 97 has 206k miles on it. The steering does feel like it has play and it clunks when

the steering wheel is moved left to right rapidly. Sorry for the thread jack.

Ron

• 2 years later...

I don't have good luck with mine I have bent a couple of inner tie rods . I am looking for a beefier replacement right now. I guess it just depends on the terrain you wheel on and how rough you play LOL!!!!!!

4e470867.jpg

Edited by PaMountianbiker