question for all with automatic.

i currently have a manual trans that is going out and i will be replacing it soon, i have had auto 4x4s before and had no issues. my question to all who have had both is, wich one do you prefere? with the lift and bigger tires would it be better to stay with the manual? does the bigger tires cause any issues with the auto's? thanx to all who reply.

Switching to an automatic wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion. Mostly because they're expensive, and you have to hook up all the sensors, wiring, linkage, and control units.

i currently have a manual trans that is going out and i will be replacing it soon, i have had auto 4x4s before and had no issues. my question to all who have had both is, wich one do you prefere? with the lift and bigger tires would it be better to stay with the manual? does the bigger tires cause any issues with the auto's? thanx to all who reply.

to my point of view... should i say, the best way of feeling the ''heart' of any vehicule while driving it and controling it, is with a manual transmission...always been, and will always be... and even more with big tires...

...it does require more attention, more acuteness... a good mental exercise... and believe it or not i got no more back problems driving long hours because of my readiness posture to interact with my left foot....on the clutch... we have a tendency to bend or deviate the column using only the right foot while driving an automatic...

Edited by Pinip

Converting a vehicle from standard to auto or vice versa is not worth it.

Automatics really shine off road, far more control of power to the wheels than slipping a clutch (whats that smell?). The added plus is you can keep your hand on your sweeties' thigh while driving away from a stop light.

The standard tranny will always give you better fuel mileage, period. :02:

Converting a vehicle from standard to auto or vice versa is not worth it.

Automatics really shine off road, far more control of power to the wheels than slipping a clutch (whats that smell?). The added plus is you can keep your hand on your sweeties' thigh while driving away from a stop light.

The standard tranny will always give you better fuel mileage, period. :02:

.While my 1991 5 speed manuel trans Path was under repairs, i drove for few months , a 1990 with automatic transmision Path... from what i recall, is that at 100km/h (60 miles/h) my 1991 was reving at 3000rpm in 5th gear and the 1990 auto trans was reving at 2500rpm at 100km/h... mainly driving every day between 50km and 100km on highway type road...

From this experience...i'd say you get more torque out of a manuel transmission but it is less economic due to the lack of a 6th speed ...as for the automatic transmission, it is more efficient because of the overdrive... thus more economic...

...coincidence ? i would get about 100km/60miles more out of a full tank on the automatic... each time...

...On low speed (offroad), you would probably get better grip (adherence), due to the smoother and constancy of automatic transmission...but with less manoeuvrability...?! needless to talk about fuel economy...offroad... i guess... to each of his own...

Edited by Pinip

thanx for all the info :D tha swap over i'm not to concerned about i have done it befor on another vehicle i owned with great success.

quote- '' that at 100km/h (60 miles/h) my 1991 was reving at 3000rpm in 5th gear'' i don't even use 5th gear right now cause it's too loud, trans has the bearing prob related to the low oil capacity. that's why i will be replacing it. again thanx for the input i'll do some more research befor i decide.