solid front axel

guampath

i got a 97 path and was thinking about doing a solid front axel and a 4-6inch lift whats the best axel that i can get and use with out costing to much.

i got alot of trucks in my yard that i can take from.

just wanted to know what kind would be the best

SAS or not, a 4-6" lift is going to require all custom fabricated parts. Search sub-frame drop and you should be able to find some useful information.

What he said. If you just want to lift it, you don't need to Solid Axle Swap (SAS). If you want to do hard-core offroading, a solid axle swap, a mild lift and some good tires should be plenty unless you're doing competition stuff. Keep in mind ride and handling change a LOT with height, especially on such a compact truck... If by "have a lot of trucks" you mean you can pull from salvage or very old trucks, I'd suggest being careful. Some of those parts may not be in great condition...

I guess the point of all this babbling is: what exactly is your goal ? We can probably help more if we understood the goal.

I say if you kill the ifs, you kill your pathfinder. You should try to better the ifs instead. that;s what makes a pathfinder different from the others... and dont tell me you can't have high lift with ifs... you just have to work harder at it...

i know i'm opening a can of worm here, but that's my opinion...you dont have to agree..

Edited by fleurys

I'd have to agree with Steve (fleurys) here. I bought a R50 because it's got a sweet IFS set up front. It handles wonderfully on the pavement and can handle a solid amount of off-road terrain. Just ask guys like Dan (vengeful) and Dean (XPLORX4); they've done some phenomenal things with the R50. :aok:

SAS is great, don't get me wrong; a lot of work and modification is required to get it done right, though. So far I've only seen two SAS projects. Luckily, they're both members on here! :jig:

Hopefully they'll chime in and give you some advice. :D

Don't listen to these guys, I say if you got the time, money & know-how then SAS! If you want a front axle that'll work well go with a Waggy (thats a Wagoneer incase you don't know) D44 . Check these out:

SAS (89trailboss, TMorgan, Nissondoms, etc., etc)

Now, since you need a front axle, wouldn't you have to change out the rear axle also? The waggy gears ar 3.10 arent they? I don't know. But I was looking at a Bronco front axle. I wonder if that track is close?

Also, a buddy of mine just got his JGC in an accident and it's scrap. Would the axle off that be good? I know it8s a little dinky D30, but I don't plan on doing any serious off roading. I just wonder how the track width is on this. Hmmm....

Check out tmorgan's thread, it'll have the most detailed information on his sas, but he did full hydro so there isn't anything about doing a steering box if thats your plan. Only a couple people have done them so you won't find that much information.

What he said. If you just want to lift it, you don't need to Solid Axle Swap (SAS). If you want to do hard-core offroading, a solid axle swap, a mild lift and some good tires should be plenty unless you're doing competition stuff. Keep in mind ride and handling change a LOT with height, especially on such a compact truck... If by "have a lot of trucks" you mean you can pull from salvage or very old trucks, I'd suggest being careful. Some of those parts may not be in great condition...

I guess the point of all this babbling is: what exactly is your goal ? We can probably help more if we understood the goal.

well ihave dana 40s just sitting here and some axles from a land cruser and some other toy stuff sitting around

didnt want to take everything off my r50 and then all the stuff i have wont fit.

it would be nice to do a SAS but just want to do it right.

if anything ill just do the 2" lift and 1" spacers and all that

The problem with wanting to SAS an R50 is that only one or two people in the WORLD have done it that we know of. It's all totally custom work and there are no "kits' to buy or aftermarket parts companies that make ANY parts for such a project.