Console & Dash replacement - digital speedometer?

ThomasMoore

Hey Guys,

I was going to rebuild the console (speedo & tachy) on my '90 pathfinder, but figured it'd probably be easier to re-wire / retrofit something a little more modern. I figure my first stumbling block is going to be the analogue speedo on the car. How easy / expensive is this to replace with a digital sensor? I figure I can find a digital sender unit / wiring from a local wreckers. Any experience with how to do this at the tranny end?

(Update - Z24 engine. Looking around PartsTrain doesn't look too optimistic for a matching speed sensor...)

Cheers,

Thomas

Edited by ThomasMoore

from what I gather from my swap you need to get the "gears and sensor from the TC and then you would need to swap out the dash or mod the dash to get the new cluster in and then figure out what are the same from the old gauges to the new ones and maybe rework some of the harensses...this would have been the route I could have taken if I didnt want to upfit to MPFI from TBI...get the FSMs for each one and look at the schematics and see what it'll take on paper and then get into it

A while ago at Repco (Auto parts retailer) I found this a device that combined a Reversing sensor & speedometer directly to the ground, this links to a wireless display for the cabin, & it was about $120 AUD. It wouldn't look great, but it'd work!

--DuckMan.