gear box or hub problem

Guest rgv500

Guest rgv500

after my 4wd has been parked up over night or for long periods of time when i go for a drive it will make a buzzing sound from the front hubs like they are trying to engage or something.

by stopping and putting the thing in 4wd low ratio driving forward for a few meters then stopping and returning to 2wd the problem goes away.

I have also noticed that the 4wd light stays on when in 2wd. If I push the 4wd select lever further forward it dims out.

I have tested the drive train out and it is in 2wd when the lever is in the 2wd location but the light stays on?

Any ideas on whats causing this problem or where to start looking. Is it just a sensor on the gear box.

If you have auto hubs ( which it sounds like) the grease in the hubs can become hard if 4wd is not used much and cause the hubs to try and engage. I had this same problem on my Terrano when i bought it, it was a Japenese import into Australia with 79000kms on it and looked like it had never been off road so i bought it. But soon after driving it and starting to use 4wd it started trying to engage the front hubs even in 2 wd. The solution was easy remove the hubs, ( when i removed mine i found the grease had hardened throught lack of use ) soak the hole hub assembly in kerosine overnight, blow out with air and repack with grease. Regarding youre 4wd light sounds like the switch on the transfer case is playing up.

Greenbushy

Guest rgv500

Cheers guys I will strip the hubs down again and clean them up.

I guess they only do it when the hubs cool ie after long park up. the grease would heat up and let them work after a while.

As for the light I was guessing a sensor as well ive already had a look at where the sensors are on the box and there seem to be none near the 4wd shift lever. Think I will unplug each of the other sensors till i hit the one that oops the light on the dash

The sensor can be found if you look under your truck, on the left hand side of the transfer case. It's in a real tight spot and a b!*#h to get at :angry: . I had to resolder one of the wires back on to mine.

Guest rgv500

Still got issues with the noise from the front hubs after cleaning them up.

anyhow heres a pic of the beast stuck out at the local river bed.

post-9-1093325668.jpg

Stuck?!  That's not stuck!

yea thats what i was thinkin. :huh: how did you get stuck? no traction in the back?

good thing you didnt highcenter in that stuff there, now you would be stuck then :laugh:

ive been stuck worse than the first but not as bad as the second.

i highcentered in a 15foot diamiter pool of water with a thin layer of mud and a ton of clay, watery clay is some bad stuff. sticks to every thing. i had water up to my door seals and the engine with a rough idle and 5 ppl inside. was fun till i couldnt get out. ;)

Guest rgv500

We were stuck its sad i guess but the back was in the air and the front wheels were hanging in the to mud pools.

i will add that back round the corner where we came from a land cruiser got stuck big tires and all so the old terrano with stock bald tires crawled a bit further before it sunk.

Give me a few weeks and im shure I can come up with some better pics :D