I used A Softer 3" lift spring for MY wd21

MY1PATH

well after a long time I decided to get moving on my 3" SL. This will focus on my coil springs since there will be noting differant about my Calmini UCA's other than powdercoating my spare set of uca spindles to put them on and adding zerks.

I had looked @ all the "Pathfineder" spring options, JGC, F100, Aftermarket foreign and domestic. They all offer a stiffer spring rate.

I wanted something differant, closer to the stock rate but taller. I had previously used xj cherkee springs to repace my saging stock springs so I looked into XJ 3" lift springs. Getting into details here what I found;

• Rough Country XJ-C (XJ-Cherokee) 3" lift springs 19" tall 150 lbs/in
  • Nissan Pathfinder Stock spings were about 16" and about 160 lbs/in
  • Calmini 3" Lift sping 15% increased spring rate 175 lbs/in
  • 4x4 parts 3" lift spring "20% increased spring rate" 190 lbs/in
  • JGC and F100 obvously stiffer I didn't research any more

Well to cut to the chase, today I cut the pigtails off and took some upper OEM isolators and modified them to fit the lower perches. I wanted to see if I had opened up the hole in the rubber enough to fit the lower perch so I jacked it up and dropped the passenger spring. it fit snug so I could opened it more but I wanted to see how the spring sat on it, I grabbed the spring (the new one lol), unbolted the shock and e-brake and stuffed it in. Geat fit!

Before I knew it I was putting the panhard rod back on and the rear of my pathy was just over 3" taller.

with setteling I imagine the will be right @ 3" lift.

WTF? I thought I was gonna wait for my UCA's to come in. When I got the XJ-C's I noticed the wire was thicker, I called RC and double checked the stats. I guess with a longer wire it has to be thicker to maintain the same spring-rate. they still compressed 1" (marked on a wall)under my weight (150lbs)just like the stock ones so they had to be in the right ball park. they are softer, we'll see if if I like it or if I fgure out why all the other options are stiffer.

I'm gonna wait till my UCA's come in b4 I level out the front. Then maybe I'll take some PIX(its too dark now)

th_DSCF0867.jpg

FYI NEW XJ-C's cost less ($100-$120 shipped on ebay or $120 from RC) than all the other NEW Aftermaket springs I looked at.

Edited by MY1PATH

i had 3" calmini coils that were slightly used, and then i but on brand new automotive customizers 3" coils. The AC coils are much stiffer. I think they were 190lbs/sq" and the calmini ones are closer to 170lbs/sq"

The AC springs held the rear end up about and inch or so more than the calmini springs did. It also could have been the calmini springs were used and not quite as stiff as they were brand new.

At first i thought the AC springs were going to be too stiff, but they have settled down a little bit over the last year. My 33" spare weighs the rear end down a good amount. I am also having a steel rear bumper made and it should level it out even better. Right now it's kinda tow-truckey with no spare and an empty cargo area.

Unfortunately, i never got the chance to measure the height of either of those springs before i installed or sold them. You might be able to get calmini and A/C answer those questions for you. I do know that A/C also made a lighter 1.5" lift spring too. I think a couple of folks on here have bought those too, but i never heard much about them.

I think the XJ springs come in 3 or 4 different wire thicknesses. 88pathoffroad wrote about them in one rear coil thread. I think it might be in the garage or stickies somewhere.

Edited by nige

I think the XJ springs come in 3 or 4 different wire thicknesses. 88pathoffroad wrote about them in one rear coil thread. I think it might be in the garage or stickies somewhere.

Yes but these are the XJ-C LIFT SPRINGS from Rough Country Suspensions

(picture added to original post)

Edited by MY1PATH

oh i understand. your truck is so nice btw.

here are a couple comparison shots of my truck. the first one is with the calmini springs, and the second one is with the a/c springs. my torsion bars were saggging and i just reindexed them but i hadn't cranked them up yet

img3245kr5.jpg

may24thri7.jpg

The AC coils are much stiffer. I think they were 190lbs/sq" and the calmini ones are closer to 170lbs/sq"

Thanks for the correction, I just dug up an e-mail from calmini stating "wd21 3" lift spring has about a 15% increased spring rate" so 160+15%= 174

Edited by MY1PATH

Because my springs are 19" and most others are (exept f100) are arround 17" I imagine I might be able to get more downtravel if I go with an even longer shock than most use on a 3" lift.

Been doing allot of reading on N4W about shocks. I know normally the rancho 9116 is run for the 3" travel but being as my coils are so long I think I'm going to try the 9112's which are 2" longer.

I measured my shock mounts w/o the shock in place and @ 27" eye to eye my springs are not loose enough to come out. @ 26" it starts pulling on e-brake so I'm gonna make that my limit.

9112's are 26" extended

9116's are 24" extended

9118 & oem 23" extended

get the 9112's i have the 5112's and they have plenty of travel :)

thanks for the info, a few guys on N4W run em too but they all have their springs wired so they don't fall out(ford and JGC) I know that won't be my problem.

How's your bottom out? was it effected @ all. 9112 has a longer compressed length; I wouln't want to damge the shock (like jumping)if my bump stops wern't tall enough.

I guess I'll just have to get them and do some controlled compression tests w/ a cargo strap to see where my bumpstops are at when the shock is @ bottom.

i don't have bump stops on my rear end. this is pretty much as far as it will go. I haven't lifted a rear tire very often, let alone stopped for a picture. I suspect my tire will rub on the inside of the frame before the shock bottoms out. If you still have bumpstops, you should be fine. I think trailchaser also ran these shocks. check some of his treads too.

july122008160.jpg

n620175477_3544140_5182.jpg

i will be trying some tougher stuff this year.

Edited by nige

Well today I made 1" drop brackets In preparation for my Rancho 9112's because when I was simulating the drop of a 26" shock it tugged a litte on the cables and tore thru one of my rubber cable loops.

E-brakeextendspot.jpg

The right one is just a piece of 1" square stock with 2 holes drilled in it and the left one is an L braket I made with 2 pairs of holes 1" apart.

I finished off the brakets with Keystone Undercoat, its the toughest stuff I've ever seen come out of a rattle can.

4/25/09... and the the brake hose fitting as well;th_Brakeextend.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I got the Calmini in and cranked a little more than it was w/ the stock arms. I didn’t crank it allot because I don't wan the CV's to bind, they do so about 1/4" from the bump stop. so I guess I'll be doing a diff drop one day...

th_crankedmaybe2total.jpg th_3inlongerrancho.jpg

I also got my 3" longer Rancho's in (9112's) and took it out for a few cheap flex shot. Same position, just left and right side(sway bar attached);

th_Flexafterlift.jpg th_flexaftlift.jpg

the shocks are definitely worth it, no more toping out over speed bums, less body roll, better acceleration and braking. my old ones were trashed.

lastly I started Planning my panhard drop since my right tire sticks out almost 1.5" more than the left.

th_Panharddropprint.jpg

the blue lines are bend lines, the brown are cuts, on the left is the bracket and on the right is the filler that will go inside the bracket to keep the inside width the same. Its 1/8" 304 stainless 1/2 hard (I think).

The bracket will drop the panhard 2.5”. Why 2.5" when the lift is just over 3"? 2.5" instead of 3" will keep it closer to parallel thru its entire working range since w/ passengers in back it sags to exactly 2.5”

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the stupid question... but with the XJ-C lift springs, how much lift did you get over stock? You said you had XJ-C springs on before the lift springs, so was the 3" of lift additional the lift you got with just the regular XJ-C springs over stock springs? Reason I ask.... I just bought a pathfinder (my second, sold the first) that has a Trail Master 4" SL but they just put spacers on the springs and moved the bumpstop down so I don't have any additional travel and I want the same amount of lift, but with more suspension travel, and sounds like these could be the springs for me....

Sorry for the stupid question... but with the XJ-C lift springs, how much lift did you get over stock? You said you had XJ-C springs on before the lift springs, so was the 3" of lift additional the lift you got with just the regular XJ-C springs over stock springs? Reason I ask.... I just bought a pathfinder (my second, sold the first) that has a Trail Master 4" SL but they just put spacers on the springs and moved the bumpstop down so I don't have any additional travel and I want the same amount of lift, but with more suspension travel, and sounds like these could be the springs for me....

the Stock XJ-C's provided no lift to my knowledge. My stock springs were tired and sagging and I think all it did was return me to stock height.(good question tho)

The RC 3" XJ-C's lifted me about 3"(after beak-in sag) compared to the stock XJ-C's. I'm pretty sure it would be 3" anyway you look @ it because my Pan-hard bracket I exactly 3" higer on the frame side than the axle side. (still working on the drop bracket)

With the TM lift you are looking @ 4" correct? If your are looking to replace that spacer w/ more spring I would start looking into the RC 4" XJ-C springs. Being a taller spring RC may have even had them made w/ a more desireable spring rate.

Keep in mind that even tho you will be eliminating the spacer the lenght of shock for a 4" lift may still limit you up-travel, so leaving the bump spacer on or using a smaller one @ the very least may be adviseable to protect your shock from bottoming.

You can call RC & they have all the spring specs on hand, If the spring rate is not more than 155 I would think it would be too soft for the TM kit causing exessive body roll. Good luck, hope it goes smoothy and hope the result is what you are looking for if you try it.

Thanks for all the info, you seem to have done a lot of homework on this one. Shocks are the next thing for me to check on my pathy after I get the spacers out of there...

I just find it dumb to put a 4" lift on that doesn't accomplish anything besides sitting higher. But it was on when I bought it so I'll start working with it. Thanks again!

I finally got my PHD Done (pan-hard-drop)

Here are some pix;

1/8" 304 stainless finished off with KeyStone Automotive Key Kote paintable ruberized undercoat. The I put spacers on the inside they are 1/16-1/8 shorter than the oem bracket so everything compresses a little b4 it clamps down all the way.

th_PHDbracket.jpg th_PHDclose.jpg th_PHDinside.jpg

My Panhard is now almost perfectly parallel and my axle went from being 1/2" off center to now being only 1/16 off center.(unloaded)

th_PHDdifferances.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

nice! i still need one of those drop brackets. my panhard rod has a pretty good slope to it. we'll see how it looks after i load it up to go for a run

Is there any special thing i should look for? im getting a pair of XJ 3" lift coils, i know they are RC, but donno bout any other stats

and will they get us up to stock from sagging? or 3" above stock? i got a little confused while reading your posts O_o

Edited by OldSlowReliable

Is there any special thing i should look for? im getting a pair of XJ 3" lift coils, i know they are RC, but donno bout any other stats

and will they get us up to stock from sagging? or 3" above stock? i got a little confused while reading your posts O_o

OK to clear things up;

XJ-C coils (stock) will not provide any lift. If your stock springs are sagging and there are no pathy's in the JY you can use these coils instead.

XJ-C 3" coils (from Rough Country) will provide aprox 3" lift and can be purchaced from RC for $120.

OK to clear things up;

XJ-C coils (stock) will not provide any lift. If your stock springs are sagging and there are no pathy's in the JY you can use these coils instead.

XJ-C 3" coils (from Rough Country) will provide aprox 3" lift and can be purchaced from RC for $120.

But the xj 3" RC coils, will provide 3" of lift over stock? gotcha.

Where are you getting them from? I haven't had any luck getting a hold of anyone at RC

Every time I've called Rough Country durning the week they have answered, then you just ask if you can buy just the front springs for the XJ 3" kit.

I belive these springs also frequent ebay in the 3" 4" and 6" versions.

got mine yesterday!

Damn...they are HUGE

Did you get the 3" Lift ones? Let me know how they work out when you get them one.

I really need to get some and get rid of my brackets from TM to move down the bump stops.

Edited by Soccerstudd5

Did you get the 3" Lift ones? Let me know how they work out when you get them one.

I really need to get some and get rid of my brackets from TM to move down the bump stops.

Yeah, they are 3" RC XJ lift coils

Im headed to the dunes for a few days next week, but im hoping to start my job, and get summore parts within a week or two of that