Newbie's pathy just stopped

Path92y

Don't rule out the crank angle sensor. It usually goes when driving and the engine suddenly quits. Turns over fine, but no catch. Sometimes a little sputter, but that's it. It usually throws a code though.

if its still messed up after that its probly the plug wires.And to test a dizzy there a little tool...I forget what its called but theres a lttle bulb in it that lights up when you touch a wire that has power going in it.

Hey Thanks, Mookie and thunder...

Mookie...where is that crank angle sensor at?

Thunder I will check into the tool...I was thinking of putting a meter on

the plug coming out of the dizzy. I don't think it is the plug wires, just because

I am not getting any kind of fire...but you never know.

Thanks again

did u ever check the timing belt? pull the top cover...it is quite possible to get enough fuel into a cylinder for it to "fire" but with no belt it wont catch up and run...the top cover is easy to pull and will at least let you know its still there...if its loose you may have jumped some teeth

If your not getting any king of fire then it could be the other wires on the dizzy(not plugs)

I have a c-vic that had the same problem.But that was when it was cold out.It would crank and crank but never catch.The wires where bad and you could see then ark in the wires at night.But I dont think its cold anuff to do that to yours.

Could be a power transistor problem. Those damn things have been known to fail suddenly. That's the little black box wired to the coil. The power transistor is basically a high-speed electrical switch that the ECU turns on and off to fire the coil. No transistor, no spark. I really doubt you'll be able to measure spark voltage with a voltmeter, it turns on and off so fast.

OK guy, thanks a ton for the input....

I did not swap the ECU, because a mechanic that we know said that could backfire, because it could mess

up the good computer and I definately don't want to have to buy 2 ECU's.....

We sprayed some starter fluid into the intake and the truck stayed running as long as I kept spraying.

So, I am back to fuel...the mechanic friend said he would bring over a noid tool on Monday to see if the

injectors were firing and in the meantime I am going to go ahead and change the fuel filter (just to be sure)

I would seem that if the injectors are firing, then it would have to be either a pump or regulator?????

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments and sorry for relaying misinformation..I did say earlier

that I was bad at troubleshooting.

Dave

Edited by Path92y

I am not sure I understood your method of testing for spark at the plug, but that is a moot point now, it sure seems like it is fuel related.

I have done this before as a quick and dirty test, although it isn't always accurate.

Turn the key to on, but not to start.

Check for the fuel pump noise. No noise is either bad pump or no power to pump.

If noise is there, wait until it stops. Turn key off.

Repeat 3 more times (no waiting between off and back on).

Then try to start.

THis could build enough pressure to fire. If it fires or seems to try but stalls, it is likely a fuel pressure issue, which is likely the pump.

Yea Beavis, I thought about that and I opened the fuel line and pumped some into a glass and it appeared dirt and water free

but thats about all I could tell.....

Bowtied, I did check for spark ass backwards....Today I actually pulled the plug and it was sparking well.

I can hear the pump running when I turn the key on So

I will try your method to build pressure and see what happens.

Thanks guys,

hopefully this will pan out to be just a pump....Is it in the tank???? I haven't looked yet.

Yes, it's inside the tank. There's an access hole in the cargo area under your carpet to get to it.

So either the injectors quit, wiring FOR the injectors quit, or there's not enough pressure to provide enough gas for it to run on. Check the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator at both ends just in case. If the vacuum was off I think it'd simply run full pressure all the time instead of no pressure, but weirder things have happened.

You can test the injectors with a voltmeter using the resistance (ohm) function to see if any of them are simply out of spec. Should be 10-14 ohms between the two terminals on the end of the injector. Do you have a factory service manual for the 94 yet? Most of the testing procedures should be the same (engine wise) for your 92.

Had to take a break and go to work, but my friend came by with

the noid tester and it turns out that the injectors are not firing off.

Soooooo, thats about all I know at this point.

I will take a look at the wiring to the injectors per 88path and see if anything is

obvious, other than that should I assume it is the computer?

I actually downloaded the manuals and are going to take a closer look a them.

I am even worse at reading wiring diagrams then I am at diagonosis. LOL

Thanks for all yalls help,

Dave

Well gang its official I am not going to fix the pathfinder, I am going to sell it as a parts car.

I am going to see if I can sell it for $400 locally as a parts car only.

WHY? Because the lady (which I use loosely) has told me to kiss her @$$ and all the lies that

she has told me up to now was just that and she doesn't have the title and is not going to get

a dup title, so I can register it..... :ar15::omg::suicide::thumbsdown:

I have been hearing sob story about being sick and being broke and and and....It really boils

down to me being dumb enough to buy a vehicle from someone that lived 2 hours away and

not having the title in hand.......Nobody to blame but myself.....well maybe a little on her part

for all the lies and promises....LOL

Anyways, I cannot see any reason to continue to troubleshoot and fix a truck that I cannot even

register and drive legally.

So, thank you to everyone that offered advise and opinions. This is a very good forum. Much

better than many of the others that I have used with just a bunch of drivers and not many actual

enthusiast.

If for some reason I end up with the time and the ability to part it out, I will let everyone here know...I just don't

know if I would be able to get $500-$600 out of it to make it worth the time and effort it would

take to part out and ship parts.

Dave

:beer:

Edited by Path92y

Anyways, I cannot see any reason to continue to troubleshoot and fix a truck that I cannot even

register and drive legally.

By the way man, you can file for lost or stolen title, all you need is a bill of sale. And also, to make things easier, why not put the vehicle up on the forum as a parts truck and see if someone will buy it quickly. Worth a shot, also you can get that much out of it when you consider differentials, driveline, transfer case, transmission, engine, radiator, fan shroud, trim pieces, interior, etc... Also sorry to hear, keep your head up and hope you buy another pathy.

I am located in Jacksonville, FL and i was actually going to place an ad on here, but figured I would start with craigslist

locally first.

I have it on my local craigslist for $400 tonight and will post it on here tommorow afternoon.

94pathy, Yea I thought the same thing when this woman told me she forgot to bring the title.

I figured worse case, I would file for the lost title and then register, but, after 3 trips to the DMV

I was told that I could not register unless she filed for a lost or dup title and then signed over to me.

I probably registered 3 different vehicles by lost title apps in MS, but FL is different and now I know.

Also, it is only 2wd so no transfer and no quite worth as much. But, still a very good part vehicle

considering all the bolt ons and the A/C works great...

Thanks again to everyone and I am sure to be back in another Pathfinder, but 4x4 next time.

Dave