Lower Control Arm Removal

Taoism

Any suggestions/helpful hints on removing the pivot bolts where they mount to the crossmember? They appear to be frozen into the sleeves of the bushings.

I had to cut front end of spindle bolt (between the frame and front lug of LCA) with small angle grinder (125 mm cutting wheel), next grind off head of the bolt (flush to rear lug surface), then drive it out of the rear lug with big punch and heavy hammer.

Needless to say, I had new replacement bolts (by the way, spindle bolts for WD21 and Xterra/WD22 are the same).

What years of xterra are the wd22's?

I might have better luck asking for them than for the part for a 91 pathy.

Use Nissan part numbers:

1) Spindle bolt:

SPINDLE-LOWER ARM, p/n 54419-B9500, or 54419-VK800, or 54419-VK80A (all three are the same).

2) LCA bushing:

BUSH-LOWER LINK, p/n 54560-01G00.

Lots of PBblaster over the span of a week followed by attacking the LCA spindles with an air chisel only served to annoy the neighbors.

Guess i'll go for the heat/big-ass-hammer method next, while I try to find a 2" right angle grinder. I have a 4" angle grinder, but the area the heads of those bolts are in is kinda tight.

Guess i'll go for the heat/big-ass-hammer method next, while I try to find a 2" right angle grinder. I have a 4" angle grinder, but the area the heads of those bolts are in is kinda tight.

I did it with standard 5"-wheel angle grinder. It's tight, but a little.

Do not waste your time with BFH. Bushings are springy. So, you can't strike a sharp blow on spindle.

I did it with standard 5"-wheel angle grinder. It's tight, but a little.

Do not waste your time with BFH. Bushings are springy. So, you can't strike a sharp blow on spindle.

yeah, I had pretty much resigned myself to cutting them. Just need to order the new spindles/bolts/washers/nuts.

yeah, I had pretty much resigned myself to cutting them. Just need to order the new spindles/bolts/washers/nuts.

You can try electric jigsaw (for example) with appropriate metal-cutting saw blades, instead of angle grinder. Maybe it works better for you. Much slower, but safely.

Edited by Terrano1992

When I did mine I had to sawzall the drivers side, but the passenger side popped right out with the tap of a hammer. You never know what you are going to get with these older rigs....

• 2 months later...
When I did mine I had to sawzall the drivers side, but the passenger side popped right out with the tap of a hammer. You never know what you are going to get with these older rigs....

I used a roto zip and special metal disc and a lot of patients. It works great for small areas.