wtf is that noise

frecklecolouredbrain

For a year now, i've heard this gurgling noise from my engine compartment and could never figure out what it was. It sounded like someone trying to get that last bit of slurppy from the bottom of the cup. Anyway, i just found out that it was coming from my AIV box so I took a look, and didn't like what i found(for those that don't know, its the thing that looks like a land-mine behind the left headlight).

I open this thing up and the filter in it looked like it was used to clean up a dirty oil spill. smelled pretty bad too, so out it came. I just put the box back without the filter and immediately i noticed a different smell to my exhaust; less bad stuff in it. And it sounds a little better.

Just thought i'd share that in-case the newer owners of the older models had the same noise issue. But, I do have a question.

Has anybody ripped this thing out yet or replaced with an electric air pump? My new headers don't have the hook up for this system, so i'm looking for some input.

later

ADM

Edited by LittleReD89

Interesting. Mine makes the same gurgling noise for a little while when it's warming up. Never thought of the AIV box before as what would be making the noise.

AIV box... like... where the filter is?

Or the canister...?

I'm confused 0o' You should replace the filter now and then... or get a K&N Filter and clean it now and then 0o'

Oh... where is that located? I didn't see it in my haynes manual 0o' Do they call it something different?

AIV box so I took a look, and didn't like what i found(for those that don't know, its the thing that looks like a land-mine behind the left headlight).