OME springs on crappy shocks and struts

EmptyV

So I've been all amped up about doing the lift and decided to go with the OME HD springs, GR2 struts, bilstein shocks, 16x8 Mickey Thompson Side Biter Wheels, and 265/75/R16 BFG A/T's. Unfortunately I worked this crazy job that made me realize that I need to drop $3K on a new laptop. So basically I won't be able to afford everything at once, but I can acquire 1 piece at a time and figured I'd start with the springs.

So I've got crappy napa auto parts sensa-trac shocks and struts, would it be a bad idea to put the springs on with these components? What if I got the GR2's but left the shocks the same? Obviously I'd put in the OEM strut tower mounts and spacers but I'd definitely be at my limit.

Thanks for the help!

Billy

That's kind of a tough spot. If you can't wait to save, I'd suggest doing the struts and shocks first actually. If these aren't good, the springs will totally over-power the old set and the ride and handling will be kind of a mess. Especially I would think with the OME HD front coils. :02:

As for leaving the shocks, they are the cheapest component, so I’m not sure the savings benefit, but that's your call.

the suspension is a lot of work so if you really plan on ever doing the GR2's, ya might as well just wait and do the springs at the same time. If your Napa struts are fine, then you can use those til they drop.

but ya also gotta expect for the worst... how many miles on your napa shocks?

I planned on using my existing GR2's only because they only have 40k miles on them, then when i pulled everything apart i was surprised by a dead strut... wouldnt extend on its own, this was 6:30 PM on a friday :headwall: all the stores were closed, turned my install into a two day ordeal (and i havent even done the rears yet, as you know)

the suspension is a lot of work so if you really plan on ever doing the GR2's, ya might as well just wait and do the springs at the same time. If your Napa struts are fine, then you can use those til they drop.

but ya also gotta expect for the worst... how many miles on your napa shocks?

I planned on using my existing GR2's only because they only have 40k miles on them, then when i pulled everything apart i was surprised by a dead strut... wouldnt extend on its own, this was 6:30 PM on a friday :headwall: all the stores were closed, turned my install into a two day ordeal (and i havent even done the rears yet, as you know)

My current shocks and struts have about 30K miles on them. There's an offer out there for a set of used GR-2's with OME HD springs with only 3K miles on them. it would save a good deal of $, what do you think?

BTW where do you go in Baja? My family has a place being built just south of Puerto Nuevo and we've got a boat in Puerto Salinas. I've been going down there a lot lately and would like to put my 2X to work.

Billy

Edited by EmptyV

That's kind of a tough spot. If you can't wait to save, I'd suggest doing the struts and shocks first actually. If these aren't good, the springs will totally over-power the old set and the ride and handling will be kind of a mess. Especially I would think with the OME HD front coils. :02:

As for leaving the shocks, they are the cheapest component, so I’m not sure the savings benefit, but that's your call.

The shocks don't worry me too much, the only thing I'm really confused with is do I need to put on shocks that extend further to compensate for the more distant coils?

Billy

do I need to put on shocks that extend further to compensate for the more distant coils?

you dont need to, right away... but would it offroad better? probably... the only 2" longer rear shocks that i know of, are the Rancho 9000 (4x4parts.com) which arent even meant for this car and i read reports that the bolts dont fit without drilling them out

and theres no longer struts for the front... spacer would drop it down in a similar fashion but you know the whole CV axle schpeel

you dont need to, right away... but would it offroad better? probably... the only 2" longer rear shocks that i know of, are the Rancho 9000 (4x4parts.com) which arent even meant for this car and i read reports that the bolts dont fit without drilling them out

and theres no longer struts for the front... spacer would drop it down in a similar fashion but you know the whole CV axle schpeel

So would you buy the used GR2's w/OME HD springs? And to be honest I don't know much about the CV Axle schpeel, consider me an offroad newb but I'm trying to learn. Thanks brutha!

Billy

it all depends. most people would underestimate the mileage and also you dont know how they were treated.

HOWEVER if youre talking about the set that Tmorgan in Colorado, has for sale, i'd jump on that deal. He's very trustworthy and i vouch for him 100%

it all depends. most people would underestimate the mileage and also you dont know how they were treated.

HOWEVER if youre talking about the set that Tmorgan in Colorado, has for sale, i'd jump on that deal. He's very trustworthy and i vouch for him 100%

Sweet! So if they're jacked up I'm driving my limped-ass QX4 down to SD and post you up hog tied and naked in front of typhoon saloon! LOL BTW I used to spend 4-5 days a week down there surfing and partying, I did that for about 5 years.

Billy

Edited by EmptyV

the front axles are at an angle... the taller you make the suspension, the more of an angle u got at the axle at, which is THE major limiting factor in our front suspension. You get that angle too far and the axles will bind and snap, leaving you stranded (you would not be stranded if you have freewheeling hubs installed)

the front axles are at an angle... the taller you make the suspension, the more of an angle u got at the axle at, which is THE major limiting factor in our front suspension. You get that angle too far and the axles will bind and snap, leaving you stranded (you would not be stranded if you have freewheeling hubs installed)

So what would cause them to hit that maximum angle? Too much travel? If you're only light wheeling is this an issue and would warn hubs help if it's only 2WD?

the only thing gonna be hog tied in my hood, is gonna be ur girl :new576: hhahaha

Hey if you can get a gag on her then by any means have at it! Hell, I'll even help you! LOL

dude its raining here right now. is it raining in LA?

I got a little on the ride home from work around 5 and then it started to really come down about 7. It's moving south so you're probably getting the tail end of it. Weird weather patterns we've have this year but supposedly we're right on track with our average rainfall. My buddy and I are hoping it's over because we're taking his supped up Shebly GT500 to the Irwindale track to drag this tool in a new Nissan GTR. I'm not a big fan of mustangs but his ride is insane. He's upgraded above all of the factory Shelby suspension, wheels, tires, supercharger, Mass Air Flow Meter, Intake, engine stabilizers, and a ton of other stuff I can't remember, sh!ts nuts. He's also got an 05 Cobra with slicks that's pushing 575BHP.

Billy

Edited by EmptyV

wait ur 2wd?? if so then nevermind on the axles - and lift that thing to the sky!!

I thought about doing the sub frame drop but figured only being 2WD it wouldn't be worth it.

Billy

2WD? Hmmm...this would have been nice for Fueler to know in the begining of this topic.

So, since you do not have the limiting factor of the CV axles, you can jack that thing up. Too high and then you have your drive shaft to worry about (about 5~6" if I remember from what Alex was telling me with his SFD).

Now, the question I have is why do you want HD springs if your only 2WD? These springs are recomended only for Pathy's with a bumper and winch up front, and thats with 4WD, meaning theres all those components up there, too, adding weight. With 2WD stock, you'd feel like your on steel rods. Just wondering.

Jose

My rig is lifted with the AC springs, in front GR2s aer awesome. I had the OME front struts and they were quite harsh. The rear...well I still have the OE's. I want the best shocks for the back but for all the haze over the topic can't tell which they are ??

My rig is lifted with the AC springs, in front GR2s aer awesome. I had the OME front struts and they were quite harsh. The rear...well I still have the OE's. I want the best shocks for the back but for all the haze over the topic can't tell which they are ??

Rancho RS9000XL. They ride great IMO. If we meet up this summer you can evaluate the ride yourself...

And Fueler: the Ranchos fit on both my 97 and my 01 with NO modifications. The 97 just needed a bunch of washers and the 01 needed some taps with a rubber mallet since the bushing was a tight fit, but no drilling or any of that nonsense was necessary on either vehicle...

2WD? Hmmm...this would have been nice for Fueler to know in the begining of this topic.

So, since you do not have the limiting factor of the CV axles, you can jack that thing up. Too high and then you have your drive shaft to worry about (about 5~6" if I remember from what Alex was telling me with his SFD).

Now, the question I have is why do you want HD springs if your only 2WD? These springs are recomended only for Pathy's with a bumper and winch up front, and thats with 4WD, meaning theres all those components up there, too, adding weight. With 2WD stock, you'd feel like your on steel rods. Just wondering.

Jose

I'm sure Fueler appreciates you coming to his defense, FYI I thought that he had already known it was only 2WD.

The reason why I'm thinking the HD springs is because they just seemed to be the top choice and I had no idea that everyone with HD springs had winches and bumpers on the front. I've been waiting for a few days to get a reply from OME on which springs and part numbers they recommend for my setup. I left them a voicemail last week to with no reply, at this point I'm kind of over them due to their poor customer service.

Billy

at this point I'm kind of over them due to their poor customer service

Call them back and say you're evaluating these coils for four wheeler's magazine test rig... I bet they'll call you back the bast**&d!

Edited by fleurys

arbusa is the people to contact - NOT oldmanemu.com (they are just distributors)

they will get back to u within 24 hrs

i asked ARB about the spring rates, they told me that the HD is only suitable for pathfinders with a bumper AND a winch... otherwise i will have alignment problems

i installed the HD anyways and it rides like a dream.......... alignment is straight!

heres the email they sent me

Adam,

we actually build 3 springs for the front of your Pathfinder. 921, 923, and 928. They are engineered to carry different amounts of weight.

OME921 Stock weight

OME923 Up to 110lbs weight (typically a bumper fitted, but no winch)

OME928 110-220lbs of weight (springs appropriate for a vehicle with a Bullbar and winch).

These trucks are sensitive to being over lifted so it's important to choose the appropriate coil for your particular truck to avoid alignment problems. Let me know if you have further questions.

Yea, i wasn't saying they should only go on Pathy's with bumbers and winch. hell, I'm going to get HD's for mine. But I'm saying that for a non-4WD, they seem to be a bit over kill. I mean, at least with 4WD, yoou have the front diff and all that adding weight over the 2WD.

Jose

true, the front diff and axles do provide some weight

personally, i think that if you're lifting a 2WD, dont go weak, go BIG at least a big spacer on top of everything

I Have to agree. Get some 4" spacers on that rig on top of some lift springs! May have to extend the driveshaft about an inch, but whats that, anyway.

Go Big or Go Home!

You can go ahead and get the HD's, but be weary of hospital visits due to bleeding kidney's!