testing daytime running light module (Canada)

schro

I'm having some unusual problems with my headlamps that I suspect may be due to a faulty daytime light module.

I would like to test the unit first before shelling out Can$128.00 to the stealership for a new one.

the symptoms are as follows:

with headlamp switch off, daytime lights do not come on (as they should)

with headlamp switch on, only one headlamp illuminates (no...it is not the bulb) and high-beam warning light on console comes on.

with high-beam switched on only one headlamp comes on as high-beam (no...it is not the bulb) and high-beam warning light on console comes on as it should.

This started as an occasional intermittent problem and gradually became more frequent, until now it rarely works properly.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem before, or alternatively, do you know how to test the running light module?

1995 WD21

Cheers,

Schro

I'm having some unusual problems with my headlamps that I suspect may be due to a faulty daytime light module.

I would like to test the unit first before shelling out Can$128.00 to the stealership for a new one.

the symptoms are as follows:

with headlamp switch off, daytime lights do not come on (as they should)

with headlamp switch on, only one headlamp illuminates (no...it is not the bulb) and high-beam warning light on console comes on.

with high-beam switched on only one headlamp comes on as high-beam (no...it is not the bulb) and high-beam warning light on console comes on as it should.

This started as an occasional intermittent problem and gradually became more frequent, until now it rarely works properly.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem before, or alternatively, do you know how to test the running light module?

1995 WD21

Cheers,

Schro

The FSM should cover the testing proceedure for the module and the sensor.

There may just be a corroded/loose connection somehwere, esp from the module as it is in the engine compartment.

The wiring of this system is very simple and straight forward, so checking the connections should not be too hard.

I just went through the exact same problem, it sounds like your headlight/turn signal switch. you need to get into the column and remove the two brass coloured screws holding the switch on, then remove tha thin plastic cover on the bottom of the switch to reveal the copper contacts, you can try playing with them to get them to make proper contact but I ended up just going to the wreckers and getting the whole assembly and it fixed it.

Hope this helps :puterpunch: