Hissing sound near gas tank

pktzygt

I might just have never noticed it before, but I definately heard a hissing sound. I am getting awful gas mileage. Like 10mpg. I'm on 32" MT's and wasn't exactly getting great mileage before. I think my cat is toast and have a magnaflow on order and will be repairing an exhaust leak at the y-pipe gasket at the same time. I checked the trouble codes today and got nothing. I recently did a body lift, but the new longer fuel filler hoses seem to be intact and installed properly. I see no fuel leaking.

Well, not that everyone knows that my truck is a big 'ol POS. Could this be contributing to the bad mileage? Do you know if it's normal? Is it the fuel pump? I'll probably have to get the cat on and find out. I was hoping to figure out something before I get the cat on so I don't kill the new on too.

P.S. For those card carrying PETA members, I don't really kill cats.

X2

Perhaps your cat is clogged, but I don't know how to test for it. Try cleaning your MAF and if it runs rich (smell exhaust, check the plugs) your O2 sensor may be failing; they don't always throw a code...

B

Mine has a hissing sounds as well. It's most likely your fuel pump.

Normal fuel pump sound that i never noticed before? Or fuel pump that has issues?

I have been patiently awaiting the cat to get here in the mail. I'll check mileage and look at o2 sensors next probably.

Normal fuel pump sound that i never noticed before? Or fuel pump that has issues?

I have 2 95XEs, both have a hissing noise that is the fuel pump and both run fine, the pumps aren't failing from what I know.

B

Hmmm, I hear a slight high pitch buzzing noise from the fuel pump, I guess you could call it a hiss.

Maybe you could turn the key to the on position and quickly run to the back to see if you hear it. There should be a noise from the pump for a few seconds. If that's what you're hearing, then mystery solved.

If you do hear the pump, but not the hissing, then maybe a slight exhaust leak?

If its a whine then its the upper bearing on the pump, if its a hiss then maybe their maybe a clog by the intake hose...

that was how mine was then i took my pump out and their was a pebble by the intake hose... don't know how it got there... but it was there...

yes, pump buzzes. sometimes you can hear it sometimes not.

If you do hear the pump, but not the hissing, then maybe a slight exhaust leak?

highly possible.. there is a tail pipe hanger real close to the fuel tank. sometimes those will rust out and hiss through a hole right there where the hanger is welded to the pipe.

yes, pump buzzes. sometimes you can hear it sometimes not.

highly possible.. there is a tail pipe hanger real close to the fuel tank. sometimes those will rust out and hiss through a hole right there where the hanger is welded to the pipe.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. :D