Compatability help please

joseph

How far back (or forward for that matter) can I go in model years to find compatable engine parts, body / interior parts and wheels for my 2000.?? I did some scrounging at a wreckers yesterday looking for a 2nd set of wheels but I'm not sure what goes with what.

thanks

well, our pathies aer 1996-2004. You have a 2000, so i would asume you should stay with 1999.5-2004 for parts with the body and stuff. wheels are the same for all years. There are 2 engines - VG33 and VQ35. I don't remember where this change took place, but someone else will tell.

It all depends on what part you are looking at. A lot of parts are interchangeable 96-04. In 99, they changed up a few things, mostly cosmetic - so the hatch, grill, hood, and fenders are different. They also changed the front brakes, and the shock mounts... I'm sure there are a couple other things. I would say to be safe, stick to the newer ones.

As 180sx mentioned, they upgraded the engine in 2001. I am not sure what engine parts this effects.

I would think the interior is interchangeable, I've been inside both, and noticed next to no changes through out the years.

As for wheels, you can fit anything on a 99.5 - 2004, as they will be a minimum of 16". Some (most? all??) 96-99's came with 15's which may not fit over the larger caliper on your truck.

With the introduction of the VQ35-powered R50 for model year 2001, the cosmetic changes from 99.5 remained the same but the interior did receive some changes. The dash is slightly different, the vents are differently shaped and gauge cluster was also upgraded due to the VQ switch.

The most obvious differences between the early model and late model R50's are the fascia changes and the engine change. For the most part, I'd say the majority of the parts are interchangeable. Nevertheless, I'd stick with that Pezzy said and just stick to your model type only. That will more or less ensure each and every part can be swapped out without complication. :)

if you're looking for spare wheels from a junkyard, you're really limited. chevy used the same bolt pattern for awhile, but the center opening is not large enough and will need to be bored out. all 6-lug nissans (hardbody, pathfinder, frontier, xterra, etc) were the same bolt pattern until 2005, though among the different models are different backspacing. the R50 runs the least backspacing so you may have fitment issues when swapping to xterra/frontier wheels. for 2005+ nissans you can use titan/armada/qx56 wheels but they will need the center opening bored out as well. toyota 6-lug, isuzu rodeo, and honda passport wheels will fit; the center opening is large enough to clear the hub.

of all the changes from the early R50s to the later models, i'm most pissed about the rear shock mounts. on early R50s they use the traditional double-shear lower mount with a 1/2in bolt. on newer models (like yours), it is a single-shear 5/8in stud, so you're very limited when it comes to off-the-shelf shock upgrades. a universal-fit shock will not work on your Pathy without custom fabrication.

the VQ35 was introduced in 2001 and it shares no parts with the VG33.

the exterior is noticeably different, but my interior (on a '00 SE) isn't much different than my '98 SE was. in fact, when i bought my '00 Pathy it came with no rear headrests, so i used the ones out of my mom's '93 Quest minivan. they fit and match perfectly. for more general parts, you may be able to cross-shop other nissans, not just pathfinders.

• 14 years later...