Universal clutch alignment tool?

unccpathfinder

Well I used to have 2 clutch alignment tools in my box...one for the pathy and one for a chevy....well guess which one is MIA...you got it the one I need...napa has a universal one but its $35 and i have afeeling its going to suck...on my way to get it but figured i'd post and if I don't get the tranny to align and everyone says it sucks and won't work worht a crap i know to give up for the day...

im guessing they suck b/c i have the tranny up and the splines engaged but the tranny won't get any closer than 1/2 inch even when tightening down bolts...this &^%*ing BLOWS...dropping tranny back out to try to align it agian...

oh yea...i tried wiggling jacking one rear tire up and cranking the crank hoping it would fall in the pilot bushing...i wiggled shook loosened wiggled and everything for about an hour b/c it usually takes me some time to get it in place...

i just got the cltuch "realigned" or i hope...it was definitely missing hte pilot bushing i saw the copper on the output shaft...i measured the outpt and the "pilot" for the universal tool and it was like .02 off so i layered some eletcrical tape on it until it was good and then i beat the taper of the universal tool into place and it would slide in and out easily like it should be with the splined tool... i'm about to attemp to get the tranny back in place and lets just hope it goes right into place nad i can call it a day

the friggin concrete has ate my shoulders up...time for beer 1

Edited by unccpathfinder

round 2 = &^%*ing fail...this is starting to piss me off...beer 2

EDIT...BEER # 2 wins...i go out pop the top look at the truck and go fskc you bitch...put the wrench back on the crank turned it 3 times and THUD the shaft went right in the damn hole...

Edited by unccpathfinder

round 2 = &^%*ing fail...this is starting to piss me off...beer 2

EDIT...BEER # 2 wins...i go out pop the top look at the truck and go fskc you bitch...put the wrench back on the crank turned it 3 times and THUD the shaft went right in the damn hole...

fskc ??? translate please...but have another beer first :stickwack: just whish i could help you...well at least holding your beer... anything ...that would encourage you :friday: bon courage !!

Edited by Pinip

haha...no fskc the sensorship for the efff word...yea i'm just glad it got done...i just got back from the moose lodge where they had some good pulled pork and a couple cold ones and now just relaxing playing some video games with a buddy back east before retiring for the evening

haha...no fskc the sensorship for the efff word...yea i'm just glad it got done...i just got back from the moose lodge where they had some good pulled pork and a couple cold ones and now just relaxing playing some video games with a buddy back east before retiring for the evening

i should have guessed P... have a good one...evening !

i should have guessed judge.gif have a good one...evening !

i was calling her all kinds of bad names...i was so frustrated and sore the concrete and all of hte dirt falling off pretty much had my shoulders bleeding and I was out of cardboard ot throw down to keep them sorta insulated...i'm just glad its in now its on to the fun stuff

synopsis:

universal tool not all that bad after you make the diameter the same and hit the tapered collar good to make it center up the clutch disk with the pilot bushing...but still not as universal as i would like it...next person to do a clutch and doesnt want their alignment tool i'll gladly buy it

Edited by unccpathfinder

I had bought the specific alignment tool on the internet, 3 actually as I didn't know the exact spline count/pilot diameter. It was still only $20 and the right one worked like a charm first try. :shrug:

Yeah, those damn transmissions are heavy!!

B

yep even when supported with an engine hoist...trying to jostle it around and get it where you need it is a good workout...2 days later and i'm feeling muscles i forgot i had...

you don't happen to have a reference for that tool and a part number? i need to replace mine b/c damn that universal tool heh...i'll keep it though in case i help someone who doesnt get a tool or a shattered one like I got once and luckly i had my old tool still which is now MIA

Edited by unccpathfinder

you don't happen to have a reference for that tool and a part number?

All three should be in the top compartment of my roll-around in the garage. I say should be... :D

I'll look next smoke break...

B

Well, better late than never, I hope... ;)

The tool is made by CTA (#6200) and can be found here, among other places.

http://www.autopart.com/TOOLS/TOOLSMAIN/tool/T_6200.htm

It is 1" diameter (.98" actually=24.9mm) x24 spline with a .622" (15.8mm) pilot bushing snout 2" from the spline OD, but from the scrape marks, only about .160" (4mm) engaged. The splines are 1.75" long but I think I only engaged about 1/2 of the length. Like I said, it worked perfectly...

Truck045.jpg

Do you need it??

B

Nice...yea I took my calipers and measured it when I went up there to NAPA when I got the universal tool b/c I had no idea what "universal" was going to give me

Nah I have the tranny in...but I will be stocking this back into my tools.

Thanks again

My pleasure...

Yeah, when I did my clutch (pre NPORA in my timeline) there were a few tools that could have been the one I needed but I couldn't be sure so I got them all at $3 each or something. No brainer and it made the job smooth.

Hope it helps you and others... :beer:

B