Shocked when adjusting timing... wires shorting?

ruggs

My truck seems to be missing when idling but not when under load. I was told it was the distributor but now im not so sure. When I was adjusting the timing, with it running obviously, I had my hand on the dist. cap and was turning it to advance it a bit and I got a huge hiney shock from it. I have done the timing on many vehicles and this has only happened to me when there was a short. So what do you guys think? Do you think its a bad wire that's causing me all this grief. I just want another opinion before I go and buy a set of wires.

Cheers

Ryan :beer:

Sounds like a resonable conclusion, but i would look into it furthur before buying new stuff. Check to make sure the resistances of the wires are all within the same range, and also try running the truck when it is dark out. Then you could see if your wires are shorting out and arcing to nearby metal.

Ya , ia m going to do the old spray water over the motor in the dark to see if there are any sparks. That should show me what's up. But regardless, it shouldn't shock me like that so there must be some arching going on.

I just replaced the old dist. cap. It not only had a hole in it but it also had rusty and oxidized terminals inside. But get this. It still runs the f'ing same -thnkboutit-

I know the crank angle sensor is shot in my distributor so maybe that is causing all the problems but I still figured with a cap that messed up that it would run better. F ME!!! The wrekers want $150 for a used one and a rebuilt one costs $300. And I still not sure if that's the problem. My dad says that I may have a burnt valve. Does anyone know what that would sound like or what the symptoms would be?

get a stetoscope and listen for funky clicks in around the motor. that may help you narrow down the misses and/or any other problems...

You could also dis-connect each wire while the enigne is running. if it does get any worse on any of them that's where I'd focus my attention. You may also want to do compression tests on all cylinders...

• 3 years later...

If your CAS is bad, that would definately cause issues

My O2 sensor went bad and the damn truck would go from barely idle to 3500 rpm (figures I was in the yard when I fired up the Cooper STT Sod machine) peeled a bunch o' chunks of "the wifes" lawn before I could get on the driveway.

Post up in the wanted, someone is sure to have 1 or 10!-)

:crossedwires:

Edited by MikeV

You could also take your timing light and attach it to each plug wire one at a time. If your light flashes normally, that wire is probably ok. If it doesnt spark or is abnormal, you could temporarily swap in another wire and see if its the same. This would tell you if its just the wire or the delivery of spark.