forum

tuttlej

Hi Im a new member from utah and dont no how to use a computer so Im probably puting things in the wrong places but any way I just got a 1989 pathfinder 5 speed dont no any thing about it as far as gear ratio in axles or T-cases so I have some questions hope some one can help first can any one tell me what my gear ratios are and can i double my transfer case is there a better t-case that will bolt to my tranny please help

welcome...I know there are 2 different ratio's 1 for the MT and one for the AT...SteevO from RuggedRocksOffroad.com put an atlas in his pathy and I think in 4-lo his ratio is 10:1. That is a pretty extensive swap I think but you should be able to get some "crawler" gears.

There is a search function that is pretty tough to use but it gets easier with practice

I think the 2 rear axle ratios in the WD21 are usually but not always 4.63 gear ratio for the auto and the mans are only 4.37

Keep up the good work with the computer skills. you managed to get registered and start in the right area and found one of the best sources of information for your pathfinder

Keep up the good work with the computer skills. you managed to get registered and start in the right area and found one of the best sources of information for your pathfinder

Exactly my thought!! Welcome to NPORA!

Welcome Tuttle, you are doing fine so far but let us know if you need some assistance with the forum functions.

I think the 2 rear axle ratios in the WD21 are usually but not always 4.63 gear ratio for the auto and the mans are only 4.37

Not necessarily. I have 2 95XEs.

1 has manual tranny, 31" tires (stock I believe), 4.63 gears.

1 has automagic tranny, 235/75/15 tires (29", stock I believe), 4.63 gears.

I could never determine the rhyme or reason. :shrug:

Tuttle, click on the link below, it will open up a new window and topic thread on the two gear ratios and where to locate the plaque that will tell you what you have... :beer:

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?&s...e=show&st=0

B

Oh, I'll let the more experienced go into transfer cases...

thats y i had my disclaimer in there...a good way to figure it out is to put the truck in N and jack up one the rear tires mark a spot on the ground and on the tire (tape would work fine on this and then do the same for the drive shaft on the axle...have someone rotate the wheel and count how many rotations you get out of the pinion...its pretty obvious between 1/3 and 2/3s so that will let you know if its the .3 or .6

do they placard these on the door jams?

Welcome Tuttle, you are doing fine so far but let us know if you need some assistance with the forum functions.

1 has manual tranny, 31" tires (stock I believe), 4.63 gears.

1 has automagic tranny, 235/75/15 tires (29", stock I believe), 4.63 gears.

I could never determine the rhyme or reason. :shrug:

Tuttle, click on the link below, it will open up a new window and topic thread on the two gear ratios and where to locate the plaque that will tell you what you have... :beer:

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?&s...e=show&st=0

B

Oh, I'll let the more experienced go into transfer cases...

The link above will show you where the plaque is... ;)

B