rancho rs9000xl

fleurys

I ask here because it is the first time I ever buy a shock...anyway..

received my 2 rancho a week ago and decided to open them up tonight to prepare them (tie-rap the boot, put the sticker etc..) for the upcoming installation. To my surprise , the first shock, once compressed, stays compressed. While the second will go back to the extended position.

I<m pretty sure the one defective is the first one, but just wanted to confirm with others first... Also, an insane ammount of force must be applied to the first shock to compress it....

So A normal shock, like the rancho 9000xl, should it come back to the extended position or should it stay compressed ?

Tks.

They should both act the same....

How they act depends on the shock, some are gas charged so they are pressurized and want to extend if they have no resistance. Others are passive and will stay where you move them.

A gas charged shock will extend it's self and generally take a fair amount of force to compress, but that is not due solely to the gas. It sounds to me like these are gas charged and 1 has leaked the gas pressure, but the valving still works meaning it is hard to compress. See if you can see any damage anywhere and try to return it.

B

Tks... these shocks are gas charged (written on it)....and when I received the first one, you could clearly see that the box had been opened and re-taped... and at the time, eventhough I had ordered 2, they sent me one...They said all was left was some parts only and defective ones... So I think they put the leftovers of multiple boxes and did a full set for one...but the shock itself has no visible damage...

the rs9000xl has a selectable resistance and with the second one I can clearly feel a difference between the smoothest and the hardest.. The first one, at the smoothest, is actually 3 or 4 time harder to compress then the second one at maximum setting... and changing the setting does not seems to change anything...

I already communicated with them about getting a replacement...

thanks for the clarifications..

S.

do the rancho shocks have the option to be recharged?

no they're not....and when I say i can compress them by hand, i mean i put one end on my table and put the weight of my body on top to compress the other end... I am not able to compress them while holding the shock between my hands only...

http://www.gorancho.com/products/shocks/rs...xl/rs9000xl.php

my bilstein gas shocks are almost impossible to compress by hand, b

Mine too, got a used set off of a lifted Xterra, had to use a jack just to install them, lol. Bolt the top in then jack the bottom up to the mount on the axel.