Can a unibody Nissan hang?

bwyan

The newer pathys seem carlike to me. Don't get me wrong I've had nothing but Nissans and love them. I need something that will last with abuse. Is this the truck for me. Can a stock Pathy perform off road in mud and snow? :dance:

my r50 did pretty well stock (ltd slip rear end). Did a hell of a lot better with AT tires... now have lift and 32" tires and does great! just need to get my sliders (on order...) and a skid... down the road a spell... then I'll be in great shape for most situations...

wish list - front and rear ARBs, front and rear steel bumpers, winch, etc... now just to hit the lottery...

The R50 is very competitive with any unibody, IFS V6 4wd out there.

Mud and snow aren't really a problem, but this is largely dependent on how deep either element is. I've driven out of 24 inch snow fields without problems, but there is a huge difference between light snow on frozen ground vs wet snow on icy/muddy ground. Tires will make a huge difference as well. I rarely go muddin' in the true sense of the sport because I have no desire to be hosing out my interior at this stage - a few more years and another 100,000 miles and my pathy will become more of a beater. The pathy will handle most mud situations you encounter trying to get somewhere on a trail, but a mud hole for the sake of a mud hole is another matter. If you want to 'build it' for better off road capabilities the parts are out there.

If you really want to go deep, you'll need at least a rear locker. I don't have one (yet), and there are several trails I can't summit because of wheel spin on loose rock and ledges. But, I doubt any other non-locked 4wd could summit either, I don't blame the Nissan for it.

If rock crawling is your thing, the Pathy is not the best choice, although look at this webpage to see what it takes to make the R50 Rubicon Trail capable:

http://www.xplorx4.com/

If you honestly want hardcore off-road performance in a stock vehicle, the Jeep Rubicon, Toyota Landcruiser and Range Rover Discoveries are better choices, but they have some disadvantages over the Pathy as well, although at this point we're deep into personal preference.

Having experience with all the above vehicles, I think the Pathy is the best choice based on price and highway manners. The big mechanical advantage the above trucks offer in stock form is solid axles, beefier suspension and f/r locking diffs. The downside is largely price; both purchase and longterm maintenence.

The reliability of the R50 is hard to beat, the interior fit and finish is very nice, the highway manners are excellent. I need a vehicle I can drive 1000 miles at 80+ mph on pavement, then do 200 miles on dirt roads, hold lots of gear, sleep in, and do some difficult wheeling when I get to my destination. The pathy does that just fine.

mike

The R50 is very competitive with any unibody, IFS V6 4wd out there.

Mud and snow aren't really a problem, but this is largely dependent on how deep either element is. I've driven out of 24 inch snow fields without problems, but there is a huge difference between light snow on frozen ground vs wet snow on icy/muddy ground. Tires will make a huge difference as well. I rarely go muddin' in the true sense of the sport because I have no desire to be hosing out my interior at this stage - a few more years and another 100,000 miles and my pathy will become more of a beater. The pathy will handle most mud situations you encounter trying to get somewhere on a trail, but a mud hole for the sake of a mud hole is another matter. If you want to 'build it' for better off road capabilities the parts are out there.

If you really want to go deep, you'll need at least a rear locker. I don't have one (yet), and there are several trails I can't summit because of wheel spin on loose rock and ledges. But, I doubt any other non-locked 4wd could summit either, I don't blame the Nissan for it.

If rock crawling is your thing, the Pathy is not the best choice, although look at this webpage to see what it takes to make the R50 Rubicon Trail capable:

http://www.xplorx4.com/

If you honestly want hardcore off-road performance in a stock vehicle, the Jeep Rubicon, Toyota Landcruiser and Range Rover Discoveries are better choices, but they have some disadvantages over the Pathy as well, although at this point we're deep into personal preference.

Having experience with all the above vehicles, I think the Pathy is the best choice based on price and highway manners. The big mechanical advantage the above trucks offer in stock form is solid axles, beefier suspension and f/r locking diffs. The downside is largely price; both purchase and longterm maintenence.

The reliability of the R50 is hard to beat, the interior fit and finish is very nice, the highway manners are excellent. I need a vehicle I can drive 1000 miles at 80+ mph on pavement, then do 200 miles on dirt roads, hold lots of gear, sleep in, and do some difficult wheeling when I get to my destination. The pathy does that just fine

:clap: From my experience......exactly! :aok: