Next project - roof basket

DavefromOZ

Have been looking at buying a roof basket, but when they are going for 500 bucks 2nd hand I figured that it would be easier to get the boys at work to fabricate one for me, that way it will be to the dimensions I want. I found this online, which will be pretty much what I get done, will add 2 light mounts on front and a wind deflector as well, wont be full truck width as I will also have an awning made by our trim shop mounted on one side and a tube for fishing rods mounted on the other side. Already spoke to the boys, will be approximately 2 weeks away as they are busy this week.

ROOFRACK2-1.jpg

You certainly enjoy having such ready, willing and able boys... :D

B

Yep, they dont mind, gives them something else they can work on. The best part is it doesnt cost me anything, unless we have to buy in special materials that we dont have here already. And it may cost me 10 bucks for the powdercoating.

Have been looking at buying a roof basket, but when they are going for 500 bucks 2nd hand I figured that it would be easier to get the boys at work to fabricate one for me, that way it will be to the dimensions I want. I found this online, which will be pretty much what I get done, will add 2 light mounts on front and a wind deflector as well, wont be full truck width as I will also have an awning made by our trim shop mounted on one side and a tube for fishing rods mounted on the other side. Already spoke to the boys, will be approximately 2 weeks away as they are busy this week.

ROOFRACK2-1.jpg

I like the style what about add some lights to it?

I like the style what about add some lights to it?

Yeah, I will definitely be fitting 2 driving lights to the front, and probably some clearance lights down the sides and a work light out back, will run wires through the tube to keep it clean. But they may not be done for a while yet.

Cool man I hope everything goes smooth for ya. I like the awning idea very cool. I just got done with my rack project like a week ago or so. I too had a wind deflector in my original plans but scrapped it to make room for my 4 lights.

-Colby

Cool man I hope everything goes smooth for ya. I like the awning idea very cool. I just got done with my rack project like a week ago or so. I too had a wind deflector in my original plans but scrapped it to make room for my 4 lights.

-Colby

Yeah mate, seeing yours is what convinced me to kick this off so quickly, I will put 2 lights up there, probably the 2 I have on the truck atm. The wind deflector will only be in the middle of the rack, probably for looks more than anything. I will wire mine through the rear hatch with a plug inside so I can remove the rack if I need to without having to cut wires. I have the design of the awning sorted, will be done soon after the rack.

Yeah mate, seeing yours is what convinced me to kick this off so quickly, I will put 2 lights up there, probably the 2 I have on the truck atm. The wind deflector will only be in the middle of the rack, probably for looks more than anything. I will wire mine through the rear hatch with a plug inside so I can remove the rack if I need to without having to cut wires. I have the design of the awning sorted, will be done soon after the rack.

Lol! That's funny man, I'm glad to see it gave the ambition you needed.. :)

I'm planning on making a master plug too. I had been fighting the the weather throughout this project so I figured when it warms up I'll add one.

Nothings ever finished ya know..

-Colby

Edited by colbywan