four wheel drive problems

Tosh

well today my truck decided that it wasn't gonna go into 4 wheel drive and i learned it wasn't the hard way. it sounded like it went in but i went through the puddle i always make through easy only my back wheels were goin. but luckily it was beside a road and someone stopped and pulled me out. policeman also stoped and i'm 15 and had friends buut he didn't ask any questions so it was all fine. but will any of the problems above cause it to not engage 4 wheel drive? i tried backing up 10 feet but it still didn't engage.

The CV boots are tore and sometimes it makes a loud popping noise in turns so i was wonderin if it was the cv axle..or maybe the hubs?

probably the cv but you won't know unless you get down there and check it out.

as to 4x4.. did you actually pull the stick far enough? there are a couple of threads around here about how to 'shift it on the fly'.. may want to find them and review the procedure.

probably the cv but you won't know unless you get down there and check it out.

as to 4x4.. did you actually pull the stick far enough? there are a couple of threads around here about how to 'shift it on the fly'.. may want to find them and review the procedure.

yeah i've read up on them before and it was fully engaged and after i got out it wouldn't go in no matter what. how can i tell if it's the cv?

did you verify that BOTH front wheels weren't spinning, or did you only look at one of them?

if your boot is torn and your front end is popping and clunking in 4WD, then yes it's your CV.

well now that i think of it i only saw that my drivers side wasn't spinning but i didn't see any marks when i looked that would have shown if the passenger side was spinning. how can i be test to see if it's the cvs?

your boots are torn, and it makes loud popping noises when you turn in 4WD. it IS your CV axle.

oh ok well i have the tools to change it. what price do they run at?

They vary. I believe rockauto.com consistently has good prices, but verify that...

B

thanks i found them and looks like i'm gettin a job.haha

Your CV joint needs replacing if it makes a clunking/popping noise when turning. In my mind this means that your 4x4 is engaging/wprling fine and your front axles should be getting power.

If your "puddle" adventure did not have front axle(s) turning then there is an additional issue like the tcase was not engaged properly or the hubs are not locking?

Your CV joint needs replacing if it makes a clunking/popping noise when turning. In my mind this means that your 4x4 is engaging/wprling fine and your front axles should be getting power.

If your "puddle" adventure did not have front axle(s) turning then there is an additional issue like the tcase was not engaged properly or the hubs are not locking?

i think it's the hubs cause it sounded like tcase went in but there was no spinning. so i'll take it all apart and look if the hubs are worn out

the front shafts can't bind/pop if the tcase is not sending power to the front axle.

well i didn't hear the noise yesterday and that's the first time it hasn't gone in to 4 wheel.

Yeah, sounds like his hubs are fried and a CV is too. Sorry man. :(

thanks well i guess it'll be fun i've never done anything more than change the alternator so thats the up side.haha

Yeah, sounds like his hubs are fried and a CV is too. Sorry man. :(

Don't worry, both of these are fairly easy fixes you can do at your own house/garage. I've done a CV on the trail & seen hubs done on trials as well (or at least quick fixes to the hubs).

Don't worry, both of these are fairly easy fixes you can do at your own house/garage. I've done a CV on the trail & seen hubs done on trials as well (or at least quick fixes to the hubs).

thanks it'll give me a chance to look at other things down there anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

well today i jacked it up and the front left cv joint next to the wheel was definetely broken and clicking loudly. the right front axle wasn't even turning at all so idk whats up there. But something new,the back right tire didn't turn at all. which wasn't expected.would that have to deal with th differential?

The rear wheels don't spin if you spin the front wheels.

So you spun the left wheel with 4 wheel drive engaged, and the right side didn't spin at all? Did the inner part of the axle spin and not the outer? Was the entire axle still?

Was the entire left axle spinning, or just one half? If only one half, that would simply mean that the axle is shot, obviously, and not connecting to the differential. If the entire axle was spinning, and the other side was completely still, that could be a bigger problem.

Spinning one wheel should spin the other in the opposite direction, unless LSD or locked.

But then again, there's the thing with the popping and binding. So something is working...

Edited by Kingman

So you spun the left wheel with 4 wheel drive engaged, and the right side didn't spin at all? Did the inner part of the axle spin and not the outer? Was the entire axle still?

Was the entire left axle spinning, or just one half? If only one half, that would simply mean that the axle is shot, obviously, and not connecting to the differential. If the entire axle was spinning, and the other side was completely still, that could be a bigger problem.

Spinning one wheel should spin the other in the opposite direction, unless LSD or locked.

But then again, there's the thing with the popping and binding. So something is working...

ok well NONE of the right front axle moved at all. but the left front axle spinned but it wasn't turning the wheel. they joint at the wheel was just clicking and it looked broken. the transmission case clicks in so it's not that. but in 2 or 4 wheel drive the back left tire wouldn't move it. the back right one was spinning normally but at most the left on just wiggled a little.

ok well NONE of the right front axle moved at all. but the left front axle spinned but it wasn't turning the wheel. they joint at the wheel was just clicking and it looked broken. the transmission case clicks in so it's not that. but in 2 or 4 wheel drive the back left tire wouldn't move it. the back right one was spinning normally but at most the left on just wiggled a little.

HUH?

:huh:

Edited by Kingman

Is this simply an open rear diff? There maybe nothing wrong there....

I suggest ignoring the rear axle completely until you get all the front axle issues sorted out. Keep focused, one thing at a time.