Brand New KYB's

I just got my KYB's today [from ShockWareHouse], unfortunately they arrived with both struts poking out the box uncompressed, one box had a "top nut" the other box did not. They appear to seem fine, visually. I can compress each strut by hand and they seem to return smoothly. Since I'm not installing these struts until I have all the pieces for my complete lift package, is it a problem that the struts are uncompressed?? Any other problems I used pay attention to? Any Missing Hardware? Should they have come with any boot covers?

Usually, when you order struts alone, they just come as struts. The covers and top-hats are sold separately. Do NOT buy the KYB strut mounts, they will disintegrate on you in a matter of months. The OEM Nissan ones are the best, and really the only option there. Though, they are rather expensive, they're worth it.

They should both come with the top nuts, as it's not recommended to re-use them, but if they don't have them, you can source it from the dealer.

When I received my struts from Tire Rack, they were partially compressed (to ride height), so I couldn't tell you one way or the other. I will say that I could NOT compress them by hand though. The KYB GR-2s are very stiffly valved.

I just received mine the exact same way 2 days ago.. (1 of them being uncompressed with the white tierap broken and the shaft gone through the box...) But At least, the shipper had put the strut box within another bigger one. So this prevent most of the dust and/or crap to stick to the shaft.

I aggree with vengful, I was not able to compressed them by end, but could compress them if put enough force when having one end of the struts, let's say on the floor..

I would say, recompress them for the time being, until you're ready to install and before doing that, make sure to remove any particles that sticked to the shaft..you do not want anything coming in contact with the seal and causing a premature failure on the long run...

Send them back. What happened was the white strap holding them compressed shifted or snapped while being shipped and the strut was released. Same thing happened to me and they sent me new ones.

Same thing happened to me this week. When I called the shipper, they told me that they are shipped compressed solely to save space, and that being uncompressed for several days should not negatively affect the strut. Is there any other reason, aside from what fleurys said, to return the uncompressed strut?

i say just keep them.. its a strut, theres no visible damage, there couldnt have been any internal damage done to the strut because the strap got cut or whatever and went through a cardboard box. Now if the threads are all jacked up because the strut hit something because it was poking through the box..

:yeahthat:

The plastic strap just broke, it happens.

The struts only come with the struts, all the boots, mounts, etc... are extra.

The nut being missing... you can use the old one off your existing struts, is it worth the hassle of sending them back and waiting all over a nut? Your call.

i say just keep them.. its a strut, theres no visible damage, there couldnt have been any internal damage done to the strut because the strap got cut or whatever and went through a cardboard box. Now if the threads are all jacked up because the strut hit something because it was poking through the box..

That's what I figured. Seems like it would take some serious shipping abuse to damage one of these things.

• 3 weeks later...
:yeahthat:

The nut being missing... you can use the old one off your existing struts, is it worth the hassle of sending them back and waiting all over a nut? Your call.

Just to officially close this out, I called shockwarehouse and they sent me 2 nuts....Now I HAVE 4! :cheetos: