Need Help with starting problem

Pathman

Hello fellow Pathfinder owners. I'm new to this forum so bear with me. So I recently swapped vehicles with my daughter who headed off to college as our car was much newer and is expected be more dependable than her 97 Pathfinder. So now I own a 97 Pathfinder. I am getting used to it and am actually starting to like it. It's simple, in reasonably good condition and gets the job done. However, I am having a problem at start-up. When I start the engine when cold, I have to put a little pressure on the skinny pedal for about 10 seconds otherwise the car stalls and will not turn over again (without furiously pumping the pedal). Once the engine has been warmed up, it starts like a normal fuel injected engine...with feet off the pedals. I was thinking it might be the coolant temp sensor, but before I start replacing stuff, I hoped to get some feedback from you. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Clean the MAF (I'm pretty sure it is similar to the pre '96 models) and have the ECU codes read. OBD2 reader is required I believe but some auto parts stores do it for free (hoping you will buy there). I don't know where you are located but in NorCal, Pep Boys provide this service.

I'd see if/what the car tells you the issue is before going much farther.

Perhaps someone has had the same problem with the same model and will chime in... :shrug:

B

Like Precise said, get the codes from the ECU. If you have a AutoZone, they usually have the scanners available for free. Bring the Pathy, ask for the scanner, tell them the car is in the parking lot and give them your license. Post the codes. I have the FSM for the 97 so i can tell you what the codes mean.