98SE Alarm/Anti-theft question

TheCROW163

Hi guys,

Can someone please explain to me exactly how the system works on my 98SE? I still have the stock alarm with the original key remotes and everything works fine.

I just need to know in which case the truck won't turn on if it's being stolen.

Knowing that the keys don't have a chip; will the alarm go off only when someone breaks into the truck with no key?

If someone opens the door with a slim jim or the like, will the alarm sound? Will the engine turn on if he wire-started it for example?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks :)

The problem with our alarms is that turning the key in the doors/rear hatch will disable the alarm. Try it yourself, instead of pressing the remote to unlock the truck, just insert the key and unlock the door. This does the same thing as pressing the unlock button on the alarm, it unlocks the door and disables the alarm. So if the thief uses a screwdriver and jams in into the keyhole and turns the screwdriver the alarm will disable and the door will unlock. Then he can go right ahead and hot-wire the truck. As far as I know, as long as the door lock mechanism turns (whether by key/screwdriver/slimjiim) the alarm will disable. However, if the guy smashes the window and reaches in and opens the door I believe the alarm does go off. Try it with your window down to check... So basically the alarm is not very useful cause most thief know how it works (note, my gf's 04 jetta works the same way and a thief just did this with a screwdriver...) If the alarm goes off (siren sounds etc.) then you are not able to start the engine (even with the key) until the alarm is disabled, so this is the only positive thing about the alarm.

Thanks for your reply,

That's weak... Is there anything we can do to improve this? I hate having to install an alarm system, because then I would have to bypass the stock alarm and for the lack of preofessionals electricians here, I'm sure it will cause me problems.

Lots of cars are being stolen here and I don't know what to do. I already have a steering wheel-Pedal lock but I don't know if it's enough.

Thanks guys.

Well, my dad has a safe switch on his car. I'm not sure how it works, or exactly what it's called. But basically he has to put a special key into this switch (wich is hidden) for the ignition to work. i guess its wired into the coil or something. Pretty cool little thing, and has (sadfully) been proven to work quite well (again, sadfully) on more than one occasion.

The problem with our alarms is that turning the key in the doors/rear hatch will disable the alarm. Try it yourself, instead of pressing the remote to unlock the truck, just insert the key and unlock the door. This does the same thing as pressing the unlock button on the alarm, it unlocks the door and disables the alarm. So if the thief uses a screwdriver and jams in into the keyhole and turns the screwdriver the alarm will disable and the door will unlock. Then he can go right ahead and hot-wire the truck. As far as I know, as long as the door lock mechanism turns (whether by key/screwdriver/slimjiim) the alarm will disable. However, if the guy smashes the window and reaches in and opens the door I believe the alarm does go off. Try it with your window down to check... So basically the alarm is not very useful cause most thief know how it works (note, my gf's 04 jetta works the same way and a thief just did this with a screwdriver...) If the alarm goes off (siren sounds etc.) then you are not able to start the engine (even with the key) until the alarm is disabled, so this is the only positive thing about the alarm.

I'm glad to know of the weakness in the factory alarm. But it seems foolish to give directions on how to steal our Pathfinders on a public Forum.

what you want is a "kill switch" you use it to cut the fuel from getting to the motor. So put a switch on the fuel pump. If you flip that switch there is no way they will beable to drive that car unless they know where it is. A few of my freinds with hondas had to do that becasue people were stealing them like crazy around here.

I'm glad to know of the weakness in the factory alarm. But it seems foolish to give directions on how to steal our Pathfinders on a public Forum.

The thieves know how to steal cars, they don't need to come to NPORA to learn.

Many cars work this way, it's not that uncommon.

what you want is a "kill switch" you use it to cut the fuel from getting to the motor. So put a switch on the fuel pump. If you flip that switch there is no way they will beable to drive that car unless they know where it is. A few of my freinds with hondas had to do that becasue people were stealing them like crazy around here.

Yeah, that works well, my old truck had one, it was hidden in the rear ash tray. I didn't install it but I assume you just need to find the fuel pump wire and splice in a switch. You can bring the wires/switch to a nice hidden location so it's not obvious. In my 240sx I was worried about it gettin stolen and I never got around to installing a kill switch so I just removed the 20amp (or whatever) fuel pump fuse when it was parked overnight or in a risky location.