daytime running light (drl) module

sd92129

Just wanted to share this with the community and potentially help someone save a couple hundred bucks. Sorry there are no pictures.

I was having problems with my drl's, more specifically, they were not working. The vehicle is a canadian 1998 SE. The regular light were fine as were the high beams. Instead of dropping 200 on a new module (or there abouts), I pulled the module out. On the 1998, it is a 3"X2"X1" black plastic box located in the engine compartment on the passenger side wheel well hidden by the battery. So removal of the battery and disconnecting the 2 wire harnesses and one bolt allows removal of the module.

The module can be disassembled, but a fair amount of force is required. the wire harness end pulls out of the plastic cover revealing a circuit board. In my case, one of the 2 larger components (presumably relays) had a questionable solder arguably caused by significant electrical currents, heat and age. Anyways, I resoldered that connection, popped the unit back together and reinstalled. Et voila, drls were fine again.

So, in summary, if you are handy enough to do the above, this could be a possible solution if you daytime running lights are not working. Note, with the module removed, you will have no lights. So it is possible, other headlight issues could be caused by a faulty circuit in the drl module.

That connection is supposedly the fail on most early model R50's, mine's no exception. In cold weather, no DRL's; I got 'em when it's -10C or higher. :lol:

I'm guessing the only real long-term solution is to resolder it yourself and hope for the best.

I found a wire that goes across from one headlight to the other that didn't look factory, I cut it to see what happened and the drivers side drl went out. Someones cheap ass fix is going to cost me one of these days!

It's funny these drl highbeams are actually brighter than my regular high beams.

Edited by adamzan