aftermarket rear shocks

alexrex20

in particular, i was looking at the bilstein 7100s.

Good choice (those are the ones I want)! I currently have Rancho SR5000X (which they sent me after destroying a SR9000X... cheapo's) which only have like 10" of travel & I am not happy with the length (ride quality is fine though). You'd rpobably be fine with like 12" of travel if you are planning on the 2" AC lift coils.

I'm just not sure on the valving.

255/70

Good choice (those are the ones I want)! I currently have Rancho SR5000X (which they sent me after destroying a SR9000X... cheapo's) which only have like 10" of travel & I am not happy with the length (ride quality is fine though). You'd rpobably be fine with like 12" of travel if you are planning on the 2" AC lift coils.

255/70

Thanks for the valving buddy! :aok:

So the 7100's would be good with the AC lift coils? With the SFD would the 7100's be no good?

I'm thinking something like this would be ideal:

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=2028 :clickdalink:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

Thanks for the valving buddy! :aok:

So the 7100's would be good with the AC lift coils? With the SFD would the 7100's be no good?

Since you'll have the SFD I think Alex was saying to make sure there is atleast 12" of travel & the extended length needs to be like 29-30" but you can still go with the 7100's as long as you egt the ones that fit those requirements. I personally am gonna try to go with 14" of travel... thats right no rear sway bar, broken front sway bar & 14" of travel... big-bad-nasty-sexy-flexy my friend

your control arms will limit flex before your shocks top out and your coils fall out...Cool thing about bilsteins is they're fully rebuilable, adjustable, tuneable, i wouldnt run air shocks..

edit, i guess depending on what kind of suspension you have.. stock,2in lifted,sfd etc etc..

Edited by nissandoms47

i've got my heart set on bilstein 7100s also, but have you looked at Fox 2.0 air shocks? they're roughly the same price.

I'm happy with Bilstein products as the 5100's have stood up to some serious abuse. :aok:

your control arms will limit flex before your shocks top out and your coils fall out...Cool thing about bilsteins is they're fully rebuilable, adjustable, tuneable, i wouldnt run air shocks..

edit, i guess depending on what kind of suspension you have.. stock,2in lifted,sfd etc etc..

Well, I'm hoping the 12" 7100's with standard reservoir will be sufficient for the SFD. That's the plan, at least for now. :D

Air shocks no good?

idk maybe a couple of weeks, ive been busy with a tranny swap and dealing with some lame fab shops and i work tomorrow and the next day.. lol. I wanna sas but i love how my setup works currently. And i love how it rides, i might lose that ride quality when i go sas.

idk maybe a couple of weeks, ive been busy with a tranny swap and dealing with some lame fab shops and i work tomorrow and the next day.. lol. I wanna sas but i love how my setup works currently. And i love how it rides, i might lose that ride quality when i go sas.

I'd like to go SAS only once the SFD and engine swap is done, though. :D

Pro-Comps suck....do yourself a favor and get some real shocks like Bilstein or Fox. :my2cents:

Never used Pro-Comp before and I've heard both good and bad about its products. I'm impressed with the Bilstein 5100's I've got in the back so I'm thinking I'll just stick with what's good. :aok:

As for Fox, I contacted them, and was told to look elsewhere... :scratchhead:

...Asshats. :thumbsdown:

I guess I should have been a little more clear before I said "Pro comps suck, go with Fox."

The MX-6s are probably a step up from what most people run on this board. Compared to your worn out stock shocks, or even some of the KYB and Rancho shocks these would probably a huge improvement. These would probably be a great shock for someone looking for some adjustability in their suspension and a mid-level shock without spending a ton of money.

The Bilstein 7100 shocks (in my opinion, once again) are a big step up from the MX-6s. They're completely rebuildable and you can actually valve them to perform on YOUR rig.

If you feel like going "all out" something like a Fox or Swayaway 2.0 smooth body would be the ticket. To get the most performance out of something like this you're going to want the upgraded control arms that Steevo is trying to get going. If that doesn't go through I'll do a run of them for R50s. Once people start putting these upgraded links on you'll realize just how poor your ripped factory OEM link bushings make your car handle.

I'm sure the reason that Fox told you that they don't have a shock is because they haven't done the research to see what fits. Most of the Fox and SAW shocks mount with 1/2" bolts on each side, so your factory 14mm bolts are just a touch big. This is perfect though since the misalignments they come with can be enlarged from 1/2" to 14mm for a perfect fit. The bottom of the shock mount would have to be re-done but this would take 15 minutes for someone with a welder. I haven't looked at the mounting width to see if it would be a problem.

The 4th, and best option (and most $$$) is coilovers for the back. I'm sure you probably all saw that coming from me but with the lack of aftermarket coil springs for the back, coilovers let you dial in your rear end for the exact amount of lift (and spring rate) that you want. I've been looking at a few ways to mount coilovers in the back and I've got a few good ideas for a bolt on hoop setup.

Edited by tmorgan4

I forgot the whole "travel" part of my speech.

On my old rear setup with custom coil springs (that were a lot longer than stock) I was able to use all 12" of a cheap Rancho 5000 shock. The model is 5254. 18.12" compressed. 30.75" extended. Once you see the pictures of my rear link bushings (OEM rubber bushings) you'll see why I was able to get so much suspension droop out of them. The rubber was ripped to shreds and the metal sleeve was hardly even attached anymore. I'd be hesitant to recommend this long of a shock to someone running less than 33-35" tires since the shock is much longer in it's compressed state than the stock shocks. Fortunately my tires hit my fenders before the shocks bottomed out but it was close.

The 4th, and best option (and most $$$) is coilovers for the back. I'm sure you probably all saw that coming from me but with the lack of aftermarket coil springs for the back, coilovers let you dial in your rear end for the exact amount of lift (and spring rate) that you want. I've been looking at a few ways to mount coilovers in the back and I've got a few good ideas for a bolt on hoop setup.

With the SFD I'm gonna run the rear spacers for a while but I wanna eventually go with rear coils like you & Max ran. So hollar at me Tyler if/when you come up with the "bolt on hoops setup" for the rear

How about coilovers for the front? Not to threadjack but I've always been a bit indifferent to the front suspension on the R50. It's a love/hate relationship. :lol:

Back to the rear, would 12" 7100's with the SFD and 33's be ideal? :scratchhead: