upper plenum question

mora2818

So my wife took her pathfinder in for an oil change and they mention a couple things that should be fixed. One of which is the upper plenum at a cost of $450 and another $180 in labor. Just so I am clear the upper plenum is the part that sits on the intake and is feed by the throttle body? I think on the newer R50's they attache the plastic cover right on top of the plenum.

Thanks,

Kevin

So my wife took her pathfinder in for an oil change and they mention a couple things that should be fixed. One of which is the upper plenum at a cost of $450 and another $180 in labor. Just so I am clear the upper plenum is the part that sits on the intake and is feed by the throttle body? I think on the newer R50's they attache the plastic cover right on top of the plenum.

Thanks,

Kevin

Yup, that's the plenum. Why did that shop suggest it get replaced? :scratchhead:

Yup, that's the plenum. Why did that shop suggest it get replaced? :scratchhead:

Because this elbow that has something to do with coolant is leaking. The first picture is a close up, the second a little father away. The elbow is below the TB. I am not sure if the elbow can be replaced or if it is part of the plenum itself. It doesn't look like it leaks much, should I be worried?

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

I think it may be on the throttle body - Does this pic help?

2002VQ_017.jpg

EDIT mine is an '02, could be different...?

No it isn't on the throttle body. I have a 97 so that would probably be the difference. It is either attached to the plenum or the intake manifold. I couldn't really dig around in there. In the daylight I can probably get a couple more pictures for orientation.

It doesn't look like it leaks much, should I be worried?

the only thing you should be worried about is if the shop will press charges when you go back and tell them they're f*cking idiots that are trying to rip you off.

i wouldn't worry about that "leak" in the least bit.

Edited by alexrex20

Thanks for the help and I figured this wasn't much to worry about but wanted to get a couple opinions. I am really only hoping to get another 2-3 years out of the vehicle before I get something newer. It has 135k miles so I would expect things like that to leak a little. So as long as nothing is in danger of imminent failure I am not worried about it.

-Kevin

Sand that baby down to "cleaner" than is is now and apply some silicone sealant (coolant, gas related type) and call it a day! If you have done the timing belt and water pump, hoses, plugs and wires...I hate to tell you that she will last you another 70K, probably only with an evap code!

Sand that baby down to "cleaner" than is is now and apply some silicone sealant (coolant, gas related type) and call it a day! If you have done the timing belt and water pump, hoses, plugs and wires...I hate to tell you that she will last you another 70K, probably only with an evap code!

Timing belt has been done along with the plugs. The pump, hoses (not sure which ones you are talking about) and wires haven't. Also on that list of things I should probably do is distributor cap but I figure as long as she runs fine, no worries.

With regards to the pump and hoses. Is this something I should replace as preventative maintenance or wait until it the pump dies or hoses start to leak?

Timing belt has been done along with the plugs. The pump, hoses (not sure which ones you are talking about) and wires haven't. Also on that list of things I should probably do is distributor cap but I figure as long as she runs fine, no worries.

With regards to the pump and hoses. Is this something I should replace as preventative maintenance or wait until it the pump dies or hoses start to leak?

generally the water pump is replaced at the same time as the timing belt, because all that crap has to come off anyway, just for the water pump. if it were me, i guess i'd wait until it craps out because it's very labor-intensive.

cap and rotor is very cheap ($18 + $9, or something like that) and also very easy (about 5min) so i'd do it if it hasn't been done recently. there's nothing wrong with running better than 'fine,' right?