Dash Lights

DaveS

my dash lights go out every now and then, the headlights always stay on. they seem to go when i hit bumps. i can usually get them back on by turning the headlights off and on a couple of times. they have never come back on by them selves, but then i have never given them much time to do so. is this problem caused by the headlight switch (the part that rotates to trun the lights on and off is loose). i have been looking at the service manual but have not been able to figure out how the lights are wired. if any one could shed some light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated. and wire colors in the dash for headlights high and low and dash lights would be great.

Thanks Dave

sounds like the dimmer switch or the plug in the back of the cluster is loose IMO but if cleaning those is easier then try that first. Im still pretty sure the headlights would flicker if it was the light switch. the dimmer and the back of the cluster is probably easier to check first since its 9 screws total to check them both out.

i checked the plugs on the back of the guages they seem to be tight and the dimmer seems to work. but i tried to make the lights cut out last night and coundn't get them to go out. so I'm not sure if it is just the guage lights or if the lights by the heator controls go out to. or if the tail lights and the marker lights go out to. but when the do go out turning the switch on and off a fiew times seems to make them come back on. even when I'm not moving. i did notice that there are 2 taps on the wires coming from the the turn signal/ headlight switch. and i have still been unable to find the pins and colors of the wires coming from that switch go to if anyone can point me to where i would find this in the manual that would be great.