How about a clutch question...

azscott

I edited this thread to ask a different question....as I am not familiar with Pathfinder clutches and it has been...ohh...25 years since I replaced a clutch ( 1963 Ford Falcon Ranchero).

I am having my transmission replaced with a good used one as mine has 210K on it and the synchro in 3rd is gone.

Anyway, I am not sure if there is also a clutch problem and I know the clutch was replaced about 80K or so ago. First off the clutch does not fully engage until the pedal is almost all the way out......but would this be an adjustment issue? Also and more like a cltch issue is that it seems to slip in 4th gear only . Kind of odd in that it does not seem to do it in 1st or second but in 4th gear when i accelerate hard after shifting. I would have thought it would be worse in 1st or second but does not seem to do it then.

Since the tranny will be out I will have it looked at but just seems odd and I am not sure if the pedal having to be almost fully released to get full engagement is a clutch or simple adjustment of something in the clutch.hydraulic setup.

Last what is a good replacement clutch ( from original post)

scott

Edited by azscott

A new OEM clutch would be the best way to go. The factory pathfinder clutches could take way more than what centerforce has to offer for the pathfinder.

Cool....I was not going the Centerforce route...too much money...and I figured an OEM would be just fine anyway.

scott

Cool....I was not going the Centerforce route...too much money...and I figured an OEM would be just fine anyway.

scott

I got a clutch and flywheel at either Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone for really cheap when I did my conversion. Both had lifetime warranty. But I didn't take Tommy boy's advise...

"Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me."

So a guarantee could be worthless, but if I'm going to go through the trouble of taking that damn tranny off again. I want a free clutch. I had heard good things about the clutch I used and it hasn't failed me in the last year. I'm just happy it's not a stiff high performance clutch.

Good luck

the clutch does not fully engage until the pedal is almost all the way out......but would this be an adjustment issue? Also and more like a cltch issue is that it seems to slip in 4th gear only . Kind of odd in that it does not seem to do it in 1st or second but in 4th gear when i accelerate hard after shifting. I would have thought it would be worse in 1st or second but does not seem to do it then.

Since the tranny will be out I will have it looked at but just seems odd and I am not sure if the pedal having to be almost fully released to get full engagement is a clutch or simple adjustment of something in the clutch.hydraulic setup.

Yes.

4th gear is the 'direct drive' gear, but I have no idea why that would make it slip more... :shrug:

Yes, bleed the clutch system

Don't make any choices until you see, but an entire OEM clutch system replacement is about $250. That's what I did and no problems...

B

Personal suggestion is since you already got the tranny out, put a new clutch in, but not everyone has money to spend on what they don't nesecarrly need. When my trans started giving me issues in my old HB it all started with 4th gear so it could be signs of internal issues. As for clutch adjustment, you have a little bit of adjustment at the pedal by pulling the pin for the clutch master cyl. and spinning the connector one way or the other on the threads. Other than that and a good bleed, there really isn't much else to adjust, it being a hydraulic setup.

Personal suggestion is since you already got the tranny out, put a new clutch in, but not everyone has money to spend on what they don't nesecarrly need. When my trans started giving me issues in my old HB it all started with 4th gear so it could be signs of internal issues. As for clutch adjustment, you have a little bit of adjustment at the pedal by pulling the pin for the clutch master cyl. and spinning the connector one way or the other on the threads. Other than that and a good bleed, there really isn't much else to adjust, it being a hydraulic setup.

Yah...since it is out I will replace the clutch anyway...not going to cost that much more. Just odd that it only does it in 4th gear.

I have tried to get it to do it in the first three gears but it won't. It does it in 4th if you are upshifting and accelerating as from a stop. If you are in 4th alreayd and just stomp on it it won't slip. I tried a bunch of things and if I upshift and let off the clutch and wait a few secs before accelerating it usually won't do it...but it will if you shift normally and accelerate just as you let of the clutch......the RPMS climb...the SPeedo doesn't and when you let of the gas you feel the pathy sorta jump or bump as the rpms drop a bit and the clutch catches and stops slipping.

But oh well...new clutch and used tranny going in anyway.....maybe when we take it off we will see.

I thought maybe there is some kind of minor oil leak that only falls back on the clutch plate while accelerating from a stop where you get to 4th gear quickly. Who knows....we will see.

Thanks guys

Scott