31's or 32's?

ronin152

Getting ready to purchase my tires. Can't decide between the 2 sizes oddly enough a 265/70/16 (31) is around 205 for a bfg AT and a 265/75/16 (32) is about 190. So my question is do you get that much of a decrease in gas mileage / rubbing / power / wear on steering parts with the 32's? Which would you guys reccomend?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the rubbing just sorta annoying at full lock? Or is it nesecary to fit them to cut away some of the fenders? Did anyone notice any increase in braking efforted needed with the 32s? Wear in steering parts? Anyone with the 3.5 notice a drop in power once you put them on?

Is the rubbing just sorta annoying at full lock?

Pretty much yeah, as I mentioned to you before - I mainly notice it when in a tight parking lot... usually get a bit of R-R-R-Rub, let off on the steering a tad (if I can) and all is good. You will probably have to trim the plastic on the front bumper a tad, right where it meets the front of the tire. A dremel tool will make quick work of that.

I noticed the truck seemed a bit hard to stop when I upgraded to my 32's, although, the tires were somewhat heavier than the 31's because they are "LT's". (I looked up the specs, 5lbs more).

Is the rubbing just sorta annoying at full lock? Or is it nesecary to fit them to cut away some of the fenders?

I cut some of my fender at the bottom but am gonna cut away a bunch of front fender for more "tuck-ability"

I have the 16x8 on my rig with 4.75" backspacing. My 32x10.5's fit nicely, only rubbing at full lock.

Ah man thank you for informing me of that. I have been going crazy thinking I need 4.0 or more backspacing to fit 31s or 32s. Do you know the exact brand you have? Notice any sluggishniss in power or brakes taking longer to stop with the 32s?

Ah man thank you for informing me of that. I have been going crazy thinking I need 4.0 or more backspacing to fit 31s or 32s. Do you know the exact brand you have? Notice any sluggishniss in power or brakes taking longer to stop with the 32s?

I've got American Racing 767 steel wheels, 16x8 with 4.75" backspacing wrapped in Toyo Open Country A/T tires (32X10.5) and it's a great set-up. It's still got balls and stops on a dime (but the again the brakes were replaced about 9000 km ago) so I'm quite happy with it overall. :aok:

ronin- the info I gave you was relevant for 32x11.50R15 tires. Since tires for 16" wheels are usually measured differently than 15" wheels (using metric sizing), the clearances will be different. Most of the popular tires for 16" wheels are not measured in inches. (A 32x10.50R16 tire is very uncommon, so you will be more limited in which brands/models you can use. I was not able to find a 32x10.50R16 size for the Toyo Open Country A/T (Toyo's website).) It's likely that the most common tire size that will fit on a 16x7" wheel with 4.75" backspacing is a 265/75R16. Do note that if you would like to try fitting a wider tire than 265, a wider rim (16x8) is recommended.

In addition, I would still rather fit a set of 16x8's rather than 16x7's because the 8" wide wheels give the truck a wider track, which improves cornering and stability (as well as toughens up the appearance). But that's just my preference.

Edited by XPLORx4

ronin- the info I gave you was relevant for 32x11.50R15 tires. Since tires for 16" wheels are usually measured differently than 15" wheels (using metric sizing), the clearances will be different. Most of the popular tires for 16" wheels are not measured in inches. (A 32x10.50R16 tire is very uncommon, so you will be more limited in which brands/models you can use. I was not able to find a 32x10.50R16 size for the Toyo Open Country A/T (Toyo's website).) It's likely that the most common tire size that will fit on a 16x7" wheel with 4.75" backspacing is a 265/75R16. Do note that if you would like to try fitting a wider tire than 265, a wider rim (16x8) is recommended.

In addition, I would still rather fit a set of 16x8's rather than 16x7's because the 8" wide wheels give the truck a wider track, which improves cornering and stability (as well as toughens up the appearance). But that's just my preference.

Here here, Dean! :aok:

Sorry about not being clear. Here is what I am wondering: What backspacing in a 16 in rim will I need to fit 265/75/16 BFG AT KO Tires (Section width:10.6 on 7.5 and Overall Diameter:31.7) with the AC 2in lift? There are some 16 in 4.25 in backspaced wheels I found. Will those work?

I assume from this picture (Has 265/75/16 tires and stock wheels that anything less than stock would work)

7718230191_large.jpg

7718230023_large.jpg

Sorry for all the confusion and asking a million times. I just misunderstood Dean and thought that all wheels for the pathy had to have 4.0 or more backspacing or they would not fit 31s or 32s. But I did not realize that there is a difference in how Dean was measuring the tires or what I said. Just trying to clarify so I don't get the tires and they don't fit :)

Sorry for all the confusion and asking a million times. I just misunderstood Dean and thought that all wheels for the pathy had to have 4.0 or more backspacing or they would not fit 31s or 32s. But I did not realize that there is a difference in how Dean was measuring the tires or what I said. Just trying to clarify so I don't get the tires and they don't fit :)

Bah, no need to apologize at all! :aok:

That's what NPORA is for: obtaining knowledge on the Pathfinder. :jig: