Manual Transmission

Johannes

Hey all. I have not found any info on manual trannys as respect to taking them out and how big of a pain it is. I plan on doing my clutch and crankshaft seal. I think I read somewhere that u have to take the whole rear torsion assembly off to drop the tranny. Is this true? has anyone ripped the tranny out or does everyone bring it to the shop? Any info would be helpful cause I am doing it this weekend and have the parts ordered already. Thanx. (Oh and my truck is a 93 xe manual pathfinder.)

Hey all. I have not found any info on manual trannys as respect to taking them out and how big of a pain it is. I plan on doing my clutch and crankshaft seal. I think I read somewhere that u have to take the whole rear torsion assembly off to drop the tranny. Is this true? has anyone ripped the tranny out or does everyone bring it to the shop? Any info would be helpful cause I am doing it this weekend and have the parts ordered already. Thanx. (Oh and my truck is a 93 xe manual pathfinder.)

look up in the upper right hand corner of this web page.... and click on the little box that says search, this topic has been covered many times before..

Search will help, but here it is...

It's not hard, but a lot of work. Some one said they were able to shove the tranny back far enough by unbolting the rear tranny cross member and mount while leaving the T-bars intact, but I don't know how good that would work if you mean to clean/inspect everything, replace seals, etc. Figure on pulling the tranny (dropping the T-bars, removing 2 axles, shifters, wiring, starter, etc...)

Tricks: Jack the truck up at least 2 feet. Use a tranny jack. Clock the drive shafts. 1 18-24" extension, 1 universal and 1 6-12" extension will allow you to loosen/tighten the upper bell housing bolts. Have a buddy hold the socket in place, this is NOT a 1 man operation.

See what you can find on the site, then holler for help.

B

Some one said they were able to shove the tranny back far enough by unbolting the rear tranny cross member and mount while leaving the T-bars intact,

doesnt work unless you unbolt the xfer case first... tried it the first time i did the drop. it gets easier after a few times. but it still sucks ass

Thanx for the tip precise. I think Ill just tear into it with my brother. Im just glad to know I may not have to pull the suspension and Ill give it a shot. Ill let u know on the results.

• 4 weeks later...

My clutch and timing belt went quite smootly and it runs excellent now. Not a big deal but I did spend about a day and a half with my brother on it but it was fine. Do it all yourself. I saved 2 grand on labor by doing it myself and I know my truck way more now because of it.

this is NOT a 1 man operation.

it can be done...i've removed and installed a tranny by myself 2 times now...fixin to remove my 4th one alone and do the 3rd install in the next month or so...you just have to be creative and safe...2 people makes it a lot less painful...