Engine Swap...

dududuckling

Guys, this is just some random question that got on my mind...

I have a 2000 Pathfinder SE with 3.3L V6... Is engine swap with 4.0L V6 (2005 and up) or 3.5 L V6 (2001-2004) possible?

If yes, is it worth the time and money... or should I get a used 2005 Pathy instead?

And what about installing a turbo or supercharger? I think this will drastically empty my fuel tank within seconds...

I asked this because I like the way my Pathfinder behaves on the street and its reliability... but I feel the 3.3L V6 engine is seriously underpowered... and as compared with the later Pathfinders, the later engines offer more horsepower for approximately the same gas mileage.

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

Supercharging the 3.3 wouldn't be too hard, swaping in a 3.5 would be a lot more custom & time consuming & swaping the 4.0 would be hella crazy (custom otor mounts, tranny swap, the pushback of the firewall, etc, etc). This summer I am gonna try to use a super charger from an Xterra or Frontier as long as I don't take summer courses.

If its a major concern for you just get a 2001+ R50 with the 3.5: I don't see the point in getting the R51 with the 4.0 for more power because it wieghs a lot more so there's a balance there - if you go with an R51 get the V8.

Supercharging the 3.3 wouldn't be too hard, swaping in a 3.5 would be a lot more custom & time consuming & swaping the 4.0 would be hella crazy (custom otor mounts, tranny swap, the pushback of the firewall, etc, etc). This summer I am gonna try to use a super charger from an Xterra or Frontier as long as I don't take summer courses.

If its a major concern for you just get a 2001+ R50 with the 3.5: I don't see the point in getting the R51 with the 4.0 for more power because it wieghs a lot more so there's a balance there - if you go with an R51 get the V8.

Agreed! The VK56DE is a nasty engine, especially in a R51 (lighter than the Armada or Titan). :aok:

As for the me, I'm trying to locate a VG33ER to swap into my R50. Then all that needs to be done is a custom hood modification. :jig:

The hood mod shouldn't be that difficult (that'll be the least of your concerns)

I'm looking forward to fabbing up a rad hood! :aok:

I'm just hoping I can find a donor Xterra before long so I can figure out all the details to make this swap go as smoothly as possible. For the moment, the R50's my only ride... :doh:

I wonder how extensive the wiring swap is gonna be on that? I remeber when i swaped a SR20 into my friends 240. No idea how bad it was gonnna be, spent the next 2 weeks figuring the damn thing out. (Then we found out we could just buy the modded harness!). Makes me wonder...

I wonder how extensive the wiring swap is gonna be on that? I remeber when i swaped a SR20 into my friends 240. No idea how bad it was gonnna be, spent the next 2 weeks figuring the damn thing out. (Then we found out we could just buy the modded harness!). Makes me wonder...

Took us 5 days to swap a S13 SR20 into his 240SX... ended up being easier than we hoped. I have total confidence in getting this swap done. :aok:

It won't be that difficult because its the same engine to begin with. A couple of mounts are different & a few things are located in differemt places but as long as you get the wiring harness with the engine it should be about as easy as swaping in the VG33E & fabbing up some mounts for other things.

It won't be that difficult because its the same engine to begin with. A couple of mounts are different & a few things are located in differemt places but as long as you get the wiring harness with the engine it should be about as easy as swaping in the VG33E & fabbing up some mounts for other things.

Music to my ears yo! :jig:

cut it off and fab up a front clip, then you can put whatever you want - VK56, LS2/LQ9/etc, ;)

LOL :aok:

Thought of that but my primary option (realistically & financially) is for now the VG33ER... If I can manage to get lucky with locating a QD32ETi then things may change.