Engine swap...

tekazgtr1984

I REALLY wish I still had my old VG33 laying around. It would be cool to build an intake manifold that would allow a bigger supercharger than stock. Like the one L&P built with a M90.

Let me know if you need help with parts and I'll try to help out. It would be soo much easier if I still had that engine laying around, though. I didn't have the space to keep it and I had to give it away. :headwall:

That's ok bro. Any help is appreciated, be it parts or advice. :aok:

What I need for this s/c mod to work is the VG33ER ECU and FPR. I know it won't fit with the R50 OEM hood but I can remedy that by dropping the tranny when I install the SFD.

I'm just wondering what other parts I'd need to make this VG33ER smooth and worry-free... :scratchhead:

Now it's hard to say since I'm really only aware of one guy that successfully completed the swap but he went the all OEM parts route. I really wonder if you'd have better luck tuning the car with an aftermarket ECU add on (like a SAFC II) instead of switching over to a complete VG33ER ECU and harness. I looked at a wiring diagram a while back and there are quite a few differences.

All that SAFCII is going to do is modify your fuel map to re-tune for the extra air that's coming in. I'm far from an expert on this kind of thing so I'd definitely talk to someone who has more experience with it. Since almost nobody in the 4x4 world has done anything like this your best bet is to look at 300zx and Maxima resources. Lots of people add on turbos to the NA engines and what you're doing is really the same thing.

I really hope to see you go through with this since a lot of people want to do it but there's not a ton of info out there on what needs to be done. I really have a feeling that once someone completes the project and documents everything well people will realize that they can add a lot of power to the VG engines for not a lot of money.

Guaranteed an aftermarket ECU add-on would be a huge improvement to remap figures and thus optimize air-fuel ratios better than the OEM ECU. I thought of this last night when my friend suggested a stand-alone unit and boost controller but that's some serious coin. For this a SAFC II would do just fine but I would consider a boost controller for down the road. Once I have it all running proper, it would be sweet to experiment with increasing boost values to see how output would improve. :aok:

So scratch the Xterra ECU; I still need a VG33ER FPR though. Aside from the supercharger and plenum, am I missing anything? Anyone have any pics of the S/C Xterra engine bay? :shrug:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

I know it won't fit with the R50 OEM hood but I can remedy that by dropping the tranny when I install the SFD.

The VG33ER will fit with just cutting off a bit of the supports underneath the hood.

Here is a pick of an R50 with Pontiac GTO supercharger ( a bit bigger than the stock Nissan SC)

photos_may06_navara_02_big.jpg

And a pic of the slight hood modification needed

photos_may06_navara_01_big.jpg

Like I said I'm going witht he 2.7TT diesel. That'll be some nasty low-end torque & thats the name of the game for me. I only need that little 100hp it offers as long as I can crawl slowly over everything & I do mean everything.

Werd. Diesel's the way to go for badass torque! :aok:

I'm still trying to find a QD32 for a reasonable price but it's a little tough. The TD27 would be nice but there's a silly turbo upgrade available for the QD that I just can't help but want.

If all else fails, I'm shopping around for a VG33ER at the JY's across the country.

BTW, does anyone know if the VG33ER uses the same transmission as the VG33E in the R50? :scratchhead:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

Found a junkered Xterra in BC, VG33ER in perfect working order! :jig:

Now I just gotta price out shipping... :doh:

congrats!

what trans do you have? there are 3 different models that came in the R50s; the number plate under the hood on the firewall will tell you which one you got. i have the RE4R01A, which according to wiki, was available in all WD21 and R50 Pathys, the same-year D21s and Xterra, the first-gen Q45, etc.

Werd. Diesel's the way to go for badass torque! :aok:

I'm still trying to find a QD32 for a reasonable price but it's a little tough. The TD27 would be nice but there's a silly turbo upgrade available for the QD that I just can't help but want.

If all else fails, I'm shopping around for a VG33ER at the JY's across the country.

BTW, does anyone know if the VG33ER uses the same transmission as the VG33E in the R50? :scratchhead:

*edit* its the same engine less the s/c... all of the VG engines use the same block and therefore the same tranny bolt pattern.

Edited by bitemedoughboy.com

I don't know about Canada but here in the states we have Forward Air Terminal & it's the cheapest way to ship bigass stuff (thats how we shipped my replacement engine from NJ to NC)

I don't know about Canada but here in the states we have Forward Air Terminal & it's the cheapest way to ship bigass stuff (thats how we shipped my replacement engine from NJ to NC)

Amtrak has cheap freight service, its slow and has to fit on a pallet. plus they only deliver to terminals, so you have to pick it up from their terminal.

congrats!

what trans do you have? there are 3 different models that came in the R50s; the number plate under the hood on the firewall will tell you which one you got. i have the RE4R01A, which according to wiki, was available in all WD21 and R50 Pathys, the same-year D21s and Xterra, the first-gen Q45, etc.

I know my R50 has the RE4R01A tranny. I'm assuming the Xterra uses the same transmission as it's the same engine save the s/c. But I'm kind of unsure because when I asked about a clutch upgrade from Exedy, I was told the transmissions weren't the same and that there was "no way it would work"... (quoting the Exedy rep who clearly can't do his job)

So what the sh*t? :scratchhead:

Amtrak has cheap freight service, its slow and has to fit on a pallet. plus they only deliver to terminals, so you have to pick it up from their terminal.

Yeah, CN and CP offers similar service so I'm getting a feel for both to find out who can help with this for a better rate. :aok:

Uh, the RB? I've considered dropping a RB26DETT N1 into the Pathy... That would cost more than double than a diesel swap...

But yes, an inline-6 in a Pathy could be pretty ridonkulous...

yes it might cost more, but it wouldnt be a 3800 rpm redline jar-full-o-pennies rattle box... dont get me wrong I love diesels, but unless you put a @!*%-ton of work into it its not going to be any "faster" than your VG... itll have torque out the wazoo, and rock climb at itle, but it sounds like you wnat more getupNgo.

Its not a pathy, its a patrol (larger, solid front axle) with an RB in it:

muahaha:

Well, the QD32ETI is an inline-4 so I don't think it would be all that much of a jar-of-pennies rattler. It wouldn't be fast but it could still maintain highway speeds without a hitch. Unlike the VG33E, the diesel sips and provides substantial torque comparitively.

Cost was the killer, though. :thumbsdown:

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread because I'm a bastage and I still want to learn as much as I can about this QD32 swap.

I found someone who may be able to import an engine but I've got to make up a checklist of just what additional parts I'll need. Fuel system will need to be redone and exhaust would have to be custom.

I've found a company out of BC who sells a tubro upgrade kit for the QD, putting its numbers up to 245HP, 370lb/ft of torque.

I'm not sure if the QD included an intercooler as OEM but with increased output a decent top-mount would go a long way.

I'm praying to the gods I get this border services interview; that way this can be made a reality without having to increase my debt. :D

• 2 weeks later...

A cheap option? Take a QD32 from a Nissan Elgrand or Aussie Spec Navara. Bolt on the turbo manifold from a TD27T and onto that bolt on the turbo from an Impreza. You should be good for about 130-140bhp at 3000 and NS 240ft/lb at 2000rpm... or so i'm lead to believe. Its a much cheaper turbo option than an AXT/Denco/MTQ turbo kit and then you could add an intercooler on it and get some more juice. I think MPG would be around 25-30.

Hope this helps.

Harv.

Thanks, any info related to this thread helps. :aok:

I've come to realize this swap will not be cheap and I have more or less accepted the fact. However, I also know the long-term advantages of this swap and therefore I see the value in that.

Rather than piece it all together, I think just getting the QD32ETI out of the R50 Terrano whole is a crucial first step. Once I've got all the OEM hardware, and only then, I'll look into upgrading. The AXT is just the initial option I discovered as it's alleged to offer considerable output over stock. I also thought about a SR20DET or RB20DET turbo swap as well.

But before I get too carried away with all this, I need to locate a QD32ETI... :lol:

Haha, I just posted in the VG33E Mods thread asking you about if you found any info on this! :lol:

I was thinking about the turbo's mentioned, and have a thought. Diesel turbos are made MUCH different then gas turbos. Like, if you take a diesel turbo and slap it on a gas motor, it takes WAY longer for the gas engine to spool it. Example: We took a diesel turbo from a 2.0 Jetta TDI and slapped it on a KA24DE in a 240. The TDI made full boost at like 2100 RPM, while the KA24 made the same at 4500 RPM. If you slap a gas turbo on a diesel, I'd imagine boost being made at like 900 rpm!! And then you just lose efficiency past 2000 rpm. I could be wrong, but I thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

And I doubt there is a stock intercooler on the QD32. If not, then an intercooler out of an old turbo volvo would work great! they have alot of surface area, and are skinny enough to fit right in front of the radiator! Of course, there's always the chance of damage, but not likely. Another option to look at.

Jose

Haha, I just posted in the VG33E Mods thread asking you about if you found any info on this! :lol:

I was thinking about the turbo's mentioned, and have a thought. Diesel turbos are made MUCH different then gas turbos. Like, if you take a diesel turbo and slap it on a gas motor, it takes WAY longer for the gas engine to spool it. Example: We took a diesel turbo from a 2.0 Jetta TDI and slapped it on a KA24DE in a 240. The TDI made full boost at like 2100 RPM, while the KA24 made the same at 4500 RPM. If you slap a gas turbo on a diesel, I'd imagine boost being made at like 900 rpm!! And then you just lose efficiency past 2000 rpm. I could be wrong, but I thought I'd throw it out there as food for thought.

And I doubt there is a stock intercooler on the QD32. If not, then an intercooler out of an old turbo volvo would work great! they have alot of surface area, and are skinny enough to fit right in front of the radiator! Of course, there's always the chance of damage, but not likely. Another option to look at.

Jose

Still working on it... I've got a fellow in Japan looking into it for me. The stock numbers for the R50 Terrano with the QD32ETI are 150hp and 245lb-ft torque and is a direct drop-in so clearly this option is the most ideal.

As for using a gas-engine turbo, that'd require some research before actually applying it to real situations. I'd still be more comfortable sticking with a diesel-specific turbo, something along the lines of what AXT offers. I considered a TD42T turbo out of the Patrol/Safari; sadly the stock numbers are lower than the QD32ETI... Definitely more research would be needed.

To be honest, I'd be just as happy with the bone-stock QD32ETI. I'd love more torque out of my R50, not to mention the fuel economy a diesel provides.

For the intercooler, I'm thinking a top mount would be ideal with a custom hood as there is enough space between the hood and the engine. This is still way beyond me; I need to look into this more diligently before deciding.

Only time well tell... :shrug: