Annoying Humm And Pop

01silvapathy

So I was driving today and it was the fastest I have been going about 70mph since the lift. While going that fast a annoying humm comes on sounding like its coming from the rear axle? It is really worrying me because I am due to drive about 4 hours tomorrow at highway speeds. I tried to re enguage the hubs, put it back into and out of 4WD but neither of those seemed to have any effect on the sound. Also when accelerating and letting off the gas pedal there is a pop as if something is popping in and out of place. Its coming from the drivers side rear quarter panel, buy the gas tank lid. I dont know what to think of this is it just because im not used to the lift yet and it is normal for a lifted pathy or what, but im not to sure that I want to drive several hours tomorrow with that sound, and worry

kinda dumb question but could it be your exhuast rattling and then backfiring?

If he says its on the gas cap side, then its not his exhaust. that's on the other side. And it is pretty obvious if its the exhaust. It could just be the springs settling in the perches. I know when i dropped some cars it made popping sounds the first time i went over 70. After a week or so it stopped and the car ended upi about 1/2" lower after they settled. buddy says his toyota did it when he drove at high speed and it was just his springs (his was a lifted tacoma). So it might be that. OR it could be your rear diff is in need of some new grease!

Sounds like a u joint pop.

How can you be sure its coming from where you said it was? Vehicle sounds are pretty good at making themselves seem like theyre coming from somewhere else.