IPF 968 Wiring question

ben0326

I got a set of IPF 968's for Christmas and had a quick question about wiring them. In the instructions it says to splice the wire into your high beam wires which makes the lights turn on only when your high beams are on. I would like to be able to operate the lights independently of the high beams or any lights at all. Which fuse should i splice the wire into to allow the lights to operate only when the key is turned to on? Or is there an easier way than splicing into a fuse?

Thanks,

Ben

not any accessory.

you have to splice into a circuit which always has power when the key is ON. if you splice into the radio circuit, your lights will not turn on if the radio is off. some good options are ABS or AC. or you can splice them to your park lights; that way, you can turn on your IPFs without turning on your head lamps or fog lamps.

not any accessory.

you have to splice into a circuit which always has power when the key is ON. if you splice into the radio circuit, your lights will not turn on if the radio is off. some good options are ABS or AC. or you can splice them to your park lights; that way, you can turn on your IPFs without turning on your head lamps or fog lamps.

That's not right......The power switch on your radio has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the switched positive lead to it has power.

Here's what you should do if you want to operate the lights directly. The lights should be wired directly to the battery with the appropriate inline fuse and a relay. The relay should then be operated by a switch inside the cab so you can control the lights yourself. Alternatively if you have fog lights and wish to replace them, you can use that wiring to operate the relay and the factory fog light switch could be used.

Thanks for the information on the fuses. I have the harness that came with the lights and the wire that is supposed to be spliced into the high beams also connects to the switch and has two bullet connectors that connect to the actual harness. If I were to connect the harness to the switch but leave the high beam wire disconnected do you think this would still work?

Sorry if I'm asking alot of common sense questions. I just don't want to fry anything and have to fix it.

Thanks,

Ben

not any accessory.

Um... even if your radio is off, you still have power going to it. though any of your choices will work as well... As long as its on when the key is on :shrug:

Edited by SilverPath

Thanks for the information on the fuses. I have the harness that came with the lights and the wire that is supposed to be spliced into the high beams also connects to the switch and has two bullet connectors that connect to the actual harness. If I were to connect the harness to the switch but leave the high beam wire disconnected do you think this would still work?

Sorry if I'm asking alot of common sense questions. I just don't want to fry anything and have to fix it.

Thanks,

Ben

Yes it will....this is how I have mine wired up. Though, I don't have mine to a switched power source. :shrug: