Cam Shafts

180sx

Hey Everyone!

New to the forum (will post in introductions when I get home with pics of my '96 SE). I have a question for you all. I was looking on AC's site for a lift kit, and noticed they had cam shafts. I was wondering, would I need to make any other modifications if I install these? Do I need to make fuel adjustments? I haven't found anything saying if I would need any of this so I'm assuming no, but we all know where assumptions take us!! Thanks for your help!

New lifters Is good idea. you can re-surface them but @ $12 each from abcnissan I'd say its worth it esp if you have a lifter tick now. camshaft bearings and seals would also be a good idea to do at the same time. nothing elses is requred, to my knowledge.

there's a writeup in the how to's if you plan on doing it yourself.

keep in mind, the S1 cams(even if they say "improves low rpm") are a mid to high rpm cam so you may lose some low end. the S2 cams are high rpm and you will lose low end and my have to raise your idle,(not reccomended for automatics)

I personally reccomend a more conservative custom grind OR an OEM 3.0 cam if you want to keep all your low end (the OEM 3.3 cam is a little more conservative.)

Edited by MY1PATH

I personally reccomend a more conservative custom grind OR an OEM 3.0 cam if you want to keep all your low end (the OEM 3.3 cam is a little more conservative.)

So I can use the 3.0 cam from the older VG's and gain a little more with those? If thats the case, then I might just do that. Wich brings me to a new question, has anybody used 3.0 cams out of an old Z31 NA 300ZX? Or would that just rid low end also (assuming that they fit)?

Thanks again.

Jose

wouldnt the cams be the same in the 3.0 leter pathfinder and in the 300zx?? They have the same motor. Alteast they both looked the exact same when i compared them side by side in my driveway ( i have both)

wouldnt the cams be the same in the 3.0 leter pathfinder and in the 300zx?? They have the same motor. Alteast they both looked the exact same when i compared them side by side in my driveway ( i have both)

The way Nissan does its engines, I would assume this is true (KA24 any one?). But there might be a difference, just maybe. But I haven't been able to find any info that would prove/ disapprove this.

Ive got some 300zx sohc cams in my 02 xterra, pretty crazeeeee if you ask me..it sure does sound mean if you have an intake.

So they do fit. And you're saying that you actual feel a difference with them in? This is what I'm looking for. I really don't want to lose my power down low (I'm sure I've already lost some with this motor, as it feels like I have no power until 3K RPM's) and am more concerned with gaining more mid-range power than anything (where i spend most of my driving at, although it might because force of habbit with the no power down low feeling).

Thanks again for your help guys. I'll keep searching...

I have a list of all the 3.3 and 3.0 cam specs @ home If I remember correct the USDM 3.0 cams for pathfinder more conservative thant the 300zx cams. The 300zx cams are another good option IMO maybe less BOTTM end but prolly not enough to complain about.

There is also a pathifinder a 3.0 J-spec (or non-usa) cam. I think its specs are the same as the 300zx cam.

on that note OEM cams can be 400, and regrinds can be up there too. There is a local camgrinder in Tacoma(Delta Camshaft) that offered me 70bucks a cam and they re-condition the bearing surfaces. So I'm gonna get some good used cams and have my own custom spec done.

HERE's THE SPEC CARD I MADE IF ANYONES INTERESTED

th_customcamcardincolor-1.jpg

In english its a little more aggresive in lift than the OEM cams but the durations are not increased very much. Think of it as a compromise between the USDM 3.0 and the S1 cam. no huge gains, but noticeable gains across the board instead.

I installed reground cams from Schneider Racing (256/.420") during my engine swap. They have five different grinds now, all for about $225 a set. I used a set of their springs and got new lifters on my own but there seems to be a bit of ticking from a few of them. I'm not sure if it's bad lifters or a problem with the lifters reaction to the new cam profiles. One day I'll swap my old lifters back in and see what happens.

with reground cams material is usually taken off the baeline to increase the ammount of lift (differance form basline). some grinders "sprayweld" and grind the weld so the differance comes from increase over center not increase over differance from baseline.

ex if you take .20 off the closed side of the lobe you have added .20 to its peak.

the hydraluic lifter fills up with more oil to stand taller and pickup the slack (making it tick more/louder) whereas if you had solid lifters you would have to get longer ones or only use a cam that kept the same baseline.

I think there is an article somwere about shiming lifters, a shim is placed inside the lifter so it doesn't have to work harder to keep up with a bigger cam.