Starting issues

lzguthrie

Hey all,

I would be highly gratetful if you all can give me some pointers. My pathy does not start. Its a 94 XE manual. When I turn the key nothing happens except one click from what I think is the starter solenoid. Would that be correct. The starter was already replaced roughly a year ago but its possible it may have died again. I tried to jump start it and that did nothing, so the battery seems to check out. Do you think I should check anything else out? How can I definitively determine its the starter so that I dont painstakingly remove it only to find that its fine in the benchtest. Where are some good places to check with a circuit tester? I have reviewed most of the starting problem info on here but none of it seems to deal with this issue exactly. Also, the last oil change resulted in a little accident where I poured oil onto the starter while trying to remove the filter. Could the oil, although I cleaned it off, have seeped into the starter and ruined it?

Thanks in advance. :crossedwires:

can you push start it? also check the relay i think there is one that you should hear click when you turn the key. your ignition or something else might have gone bad. The oil might have to do with it that what caused mine to quit working years of oil getting spilled on it from oil changes.

can you push start it? also check the relay i think there is one that you should hear click when you turn the key. your ignition or something else might have gone bad. The oil might have to do with it that what caused mine to quit working years of oil getting spilled on it from oil changes.

Push starting it at this moment is not an option unfortunately. If it fails, I will have a hell of a time getting it back to its parking spot. I am not sure if its the relay that gives the click or if its the solenoid getting powered up. I am going to buy a circuit tester on my bike right now. I will check those things out when I get it.

I remember reading on here somewhere, that when if the starter went, you could park the rear wheels on those cement parking blocks, and roll of that to start it. That is what I did with my moms rodeo when the starter died on it while I was 40 miles from home.

I remember reading on here somewhere, that when if the starter went, you could park the rear wheels on those cement parking blocks, and roll of that to start it. That is what I did with my moms rodeo when the starter died on it while I was 40 miles from home.

sounds like you need to check the battery terminals and the connections at the starter. and/or get a good heavy gauge jumper cable and try to jump it again. most jumper cables are a joke and wont carry enough juice to jump start a rig. also try jumping it with the ground disconnected from the battery (connect the negative jumper cable to the block if possible). this will tell you if you have a bad battery.

Well looks like I am going to be replacing an ignition switch. Any instructables on that bychance? Thanks for all your suggestions too guys, I appreciate it.

Hi Izguthrie-

Here's a link to mine if you haven't read it already.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry341406

I haven't replaced mine yet, but it needs to be replaced but I keep tapping the plastic end tight when it acts up, bad design. The last time it was replaced, only the switch was replaced, not the entire thing w/ the cylinder lock and keys. I'm thinking of doing this so I won't have to have 2 keys and it's $70 vs. $200. Also the old assembly needs to be drilled out for the new one to be installed. Let me know how your install goes, I'm waiting to decide whether to spend $$ on this or cv axles.

post-2922-1229849131_thumb.jpg

post-2922-1229849182_thumb.jpg

Well looks like I am going to be replacing an ignition switch. Any instructables on that bychance? Thanks for all your suggestions too guys, I appreciate it.

How exactly did you determine it was the ignition switch :popcorn:

About a week after I bought my '95 she wouldn't turn over.

I read all the posts here & bought a new big blue relay.

but never installed it. :shrug: just mysteriously started working with out me doing anything..... until just recently,did it again a few times

I always get her to go though,

try holding the switch over for a few seconds in the start position.

Did you read these?

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...hl=starter+blue

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/...g24957#msg24957

Edited by jitterymonkey

How exactly did you determine it was the ignition switch :popcorn:

About a week after I bought my '95 she wouldn't turn over.

I read all the posts here & bought a new big blue relay.

but never installed it. :shrug: just mysteriously started working with out me doing anything..... until just recently,did it again a few times

I always get her to go though,

try holding the switch over for a few seconds in the start position.

Did you read these?

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...hl=starter+blue

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/...g24957#msg24957

Alright I will check those links out as well. I got supremely frustrated with my quest to determine what was wrong. Its really cold here and rolling around in the snow under my vehicle was less than fun haha. So i paid 40 dollars to have it diagnosed at a local shop. So, of course, as soon as they try to diagnose it, it starts running again. Starts up like a charm. So after it started running they were not able to pinpoint the problem with certainty but they said it was likely to be the ignition switch because those go out intermittantly, will work fine and then not work and then work again, and etc. So that was my best guess and since the alternator and the starter are new, the relay clicks and you can feel it click when you touch it, and the battery checks out ok, it seems to be more likely the ignition. It may not be the ignition for sure, but at this moment, it seems the best guess.

Hi Izguthrie-

Here's a link to mine if you haven't read it already.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry341406

I haven't replaced mine yet, but it needs to be replaced but I keep tapping the plastic end tight when it acts up, bad design. The last time it was replaced, only the switch was replaced, not the entire thing w/ the cylinder lock and keys. I'm thinking of doing this so I won't have to have 2 keys and it's $70 vs. $200. Also the old assembly needs to be drilled out for the new one to be installed. Let me know how your install goes, I'm waiting to decide whether to spend $$ on this or cv axles.

Alright, thanks for your information. I will let you know what happens when I get to it. At this moment, its running again. And for no reason that makes any logical sense. This thing has been sitting in my driveway for 4 months because I havent been able to get it start! So for it to start running again out of the blue is just bizarre. But yeah, I broke down and got my neigborhood shop involved and they seem to think its the ignition switch. Everything else in the electical system is either new or in working order, so it makes sense.

Alright, thanks for your information. I will let you know what happens when I get to it. At this moment, its running again. And for no reason that makes any logical sense. This thing has been sitting in my driveway for 4 months because I havent been able to get it start! So for it to start running again out of the blue is just bizarre. But yeah, I broke down and got my neigborhood shop involved and they seem to think its the ignition switch. Everything else in the electical system is either new or in working order, so it makes sense.

I'd wait to put that switch in.

Like I said my rig did that a few times when I first bought it about a year ago then mysteriously fixed itself until it did it 3 times last week.

hasn't done it since then & started right up today with a wind chill of -19.

Like you, I'm not going to work on her unless I absolutely have to :ph33r: