VQ Oil filters

BowTied

Ok, this oil filter is smallest oil filter I have ever had. Smaller than my 85 Cavalier 2.0L, smaller than my 95 Sentra 1.6L and waaay smaller than any other truck I have worked on. What's the deal? :scratchhead: Is there a longer filter that fits that I can get? I am changing my oil early at 3K right now as don't trust the small filter element.

I don't think it really matters that it's so small... as far as doing a good job filtering. The big gain from a larger filter is oil capacity. That being said I wouldn't mind using a larger filter. Is there room for a larger one? I haven't changed my oil yet.

I spent FOREVER researching larger oil filters...I found a Mobil1 filter that was "larger" than others and it turned out that the Napa Gold (BY Wix) was the same size (largest), uses synthetic media, a real spring coil "suspension" system, silicone anti drainback valve, and lastly was like 1/2 price of the Mobil1 !!

I am happy...now to find a cooler set up that will sandwich in there!

***edit: there was a K&N the would fit with the exception of the gasket shape. This was the largest filter concieveable, however the OE gasket flat/square--Larger K&N round style. Plus K&N don't actually filter as well just higher flow. It may have been the one that the older LT1 vette uses--not totally sure now.

Edited by 02silverpathy

on my wd 21 I use a larger filter, Fram stamps a code for the tread diameter and pich next to all the threads on thier filters. "C2" in this case, I just started opening boxes untill I found a taller filter stamped C2 and the new filter PN was TG3600 (oe PN was TG3682).

I traced that PN back to being for a 2000-2004 Ford foucus among many other vehicles. So Now I have a vehcle to cross reference Oil filter PN's if I wanna go for another brand.

on my wd 21 I use a larger filter, Fram stamps a code for the tread diameter and pich next to all the threads on thier filters. "C2" in this case, I just started opening boxes untill I found a taller filter stamped C2 and the new filter PN was TG3600 (oe PN was TG3682).

I traced that PN back to being for a 2000-2004 Ford foucus among many other vehicles. So Now I have a vehcle to cross reference Oil filter PN's if I wanna go for another brand.

Good info. But why the heck are you using Fram? Don't take it the wrong way but Fram is crap. You should read this.

Edited by 01LE

Good info. But why the heck are you using Fram? Don't take it the wrong way but Fram is crap. You should read this.

I did read that(manytimes over the last few years), and it still has fram TOUGH GUARD on its reccomended list. which is what I use becuase its most redily available @ my store. I stay away from the other fram filter models.

Heres a list of a few Other brands that fit the tg3600 aplication in sorted in order of quality;(assuming the VQ motors use the same thread pich (C2))

#1) Purolator PureONE - PL20195

2) Bosch - 3422

3) Mobil 1 - M1209

4) K&N - HP2009

5) Motorcraft - FL400S

6) FRAM Tough Guard – TG3600 (all other FRAM filters are inferior)

If those are too tall the oe wd21 filter is about 1-1.5" shorter.

Edited by MY1PATH

The Fram tough guarg is a TG6607 for my VQ, so I dunn if those would work. THanks for posting though, that may help someone.

It just seems weird to me to have such a small filter - there is no way there is as much filter element media in that little can as there is in the other flters I have used. Thanks for the replies, I will look into the Napa gold one and maybe see if Krelinator has one too.

The Fram tough guarg is a TG6607 for my VQ, so I dunn if those would work. THanks for posting though, that may help someone.

go to the store, open a TG6607 if it has C2 stamped inside it the treads are the same as the TG3682 and TG3600. grab one, see if you think its too tall (if its a wider diameter then of course its a no go) thats the only way to know. if the TG6607 has something else stamped in it, keep opening boxes untill you see a taller one with the same stamp.

Ok, this oil filter is smallest oil filter I have ever had. Smaller than my 85 Cavalier 2.0L, smaller than my 95 Sentra 1.6L and waaay smaller than any other truck I have worked on. What's the deal? :scratchhead: Is there a longer filter that fits that I can get? I am changing my oil early at 3K right now as don't trust the small filter element.

This same thing has bothered me since I got my pathfinder.

I used to run a MASSIVE oil filter on my A4 (over a qt capacity) from a volvo diesel. get a napa catalog and cross refrence by thread diam and pitch then look for a close gasket size. you may find something.

internal pressures matter too though but d like to see really how much. plus it seems like you are limited by room for diameter too.

Maybe look into an oil filter relocation kit? that uses a plate where the filter would go, then lines and then any size filter you want, sometimes 2.

Also while we are on oiling systems, I will be getting oen of these:Moroso Accumulator at Summit Racing

your engne pressurizes it, if you lose pressure it gets it back up there. AND if you flip the lever before you shut down, it stays pressuzed... the next time you start up, flip that lever first and it sends oil back through the system... no more "dry" starts... I dont like the fact that the oil light flickers when you first start it.

And don't take this the wrong way, but your info is crap. That site you linked to is NINE YEARS OLD and is an amateur subjective review of what oil filters that person likes and dislikes. You can't possibly be using that as your main criterion for oil filter quality?

And a larger oil filter does not only provide larger capacity. A monkey could have deduced that much. A larger filter means a larger... internal filter which means more surface area which means more flow (and less pressure). Durr.

Do you also have a Tornado in your intake because your buddy told you it will help better atomize your air/fuel mixture? :rofl:

is an amateur subjective review of what oil filters that person likes and dislikes.

did you actually read any of it?

He cut open over a dozen filters:

He anylized their filter elements by quanity, density and material composition.

He looked at the holes thur wihch the oil gets in and out for possible souces of restriciton.

he compared how the differant filter elments were caped on the ends (cardboard being a source of leaks arround the element and fibreous break down)

he also looked @ the overpreassure bypass valves for when the filter gets too cloged(some of those leak too)

now, granted the article is old and things may have changed since he wrote it. but give the guy some credit, this guy does not seem amateur.this guy put allot more time into exploring the physical characteristics of the filters and not just writing an "opionated article"

he posted his findings too so if you don't like his reccomendations review his findings and decide for yourself or cut open another 20 filters and make an updated article.

And don't take this the wrong way, but your info is crap. That site you linked to is NINE YEARS OLD and is an amateur subjective review of what oil filters that person likes and dislikes. You can't possibly be using that as your main criterion for oil filter quality?

And a larger oil filter does not only provide larger capacity. A monkey could have deduced that much. A larger filter means a larger... internal filter which means more surface area which means more flow (and less pressure). Durr.

Do you also have a Tornado in your intake because your buddy told you it will help better atomize your air/fuel mixture? :rofl:

I have no interest in getting in a bickering contest with you. Of course that article is not how I came to the conclusion that Fram's entry level filter is crap. It was just a resource that used to try and prove a point. I came to the conclusion that Fram is a bad filter from having seen a number of them fail when I used to work at a garage years ago changing oil.

I have real world deductions...and for the record I am a retarded monkey!

Using several different filters to date...I have found that the Purolater Pure1 keeps oil pretty clean for approx 3K city...buuut the Napa Gold that you can't pry out of my hands has kept my oil clean for 4500 plus miles city...dig it!

Let alone after reading miles of text worth of opinion I see no reason not to claim them the winner, IMHO of course!

Thanks for all the thoughts on why VQ oil filters are smaller than other designs... and for the opinions on filter brands.

FWIW, Canadian Tire oil filters are low grade Fram filters and I know people who have run them for years without issue. I think they are not top quality, but they sell millions of them if even 5% of them failed regularily, well you get my point. For off-road use, race use, or any hard use, of course by an appropriate filter like a K&N or what ever.

Any further discussion of filter brand should be taken to a new post to be in an appropriate place for archive searching. ;)

If anyone else reading this thread has a for sure cross over part number to a bigger filter that has been used with succes, please post. Thanx