Stutter between 2500 and 3500 rpm

Kittamaru

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haynes/Chiltons = the same sh!t. I've had both for various cars, and they both leave quite a bit to be desired. THey're both good for basic stuff, when the FSM is too much of a hassle to leaf through. But for anything more involved, they're useless.

*nods* I know my Haynes manual says the 1990 Pathy is Carbourated... at least it shows a Carbourated engine with the huge circular air filter on top + some stuff I don't have *shrugs*

Update- just filled up today:

230 miles from 17 gallons = 13.5 mpg...

I normally average

310 miles from 17 gallons = 18.2 mpg...

a drop of almost 5 mpg...

UGH

I'm giving my mechanic a call monday - hoping over the weekend to do the plugs n wires... then put the truck in next week for a full tuneup + coolant/tranny/oil change. I can't afford to do the 150k mile checkup yet sadly...

Another update - I spoke to another mechanic (who works for a company my father used to work at) and he suggested I check my vacuum lines... any merit to this?

I priced the EGR valve and O2 sensor... both over $100 here :(

Yes, always check as much as you can before replacing parts.

Do a careful visual inspection, then start the truck and spray small amounts of WD-40 on suspect areas/connections. If the idle speed increases, you have a vacuum leak there.

B

Well... what's the small tube near the #6 plug? Is that vaccuum? If it is... that may well be it - it's kinda degrading a bit and, when I tried to get at plug 6, I kinda disconnected it. I put it back, but it may have fallen out again... I'll have to check it once my engine cools down (was just out)

Well... what's the small tube near the #6 plug? Is that vaccuum? If it is... that may well be it - it's kinda degrading a bit and, when I tried to get at plug 6, I kinda disconnected it. I put it back, but it may have fallen out again... I'll have to check it once my engine cools down (was just out)

Could you take a pic for us so we can actually see what you're talking about? I have a few ideas on what it could be

Good news - Pathy goes into the shop on the Sixth...

Unknown News - He said, based on the new info I gave him (the more detailed description of the stumble/stutter, the RPM range, temperature range, and the decreased fuel mileage) that he thinks it's the fuel pressure regulator... leaking raw fuel into the intake manifold. I do smell an acrid, burning, gassy smell... but it's not a pure-petrol smell - is that the smell of a severely over-rich engine?

I'm going to attempt to do the plugs n wires today - it's warm enough (above 40) so I don't have to worry about freezing AND burning my hands :P

That small hose by the #6 cyl is the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator. That could screw up your mileage if your fuel pressures are off. The ECU relies on certain constants, and that is one of them. It times the injector pulses in miliseconds based on a specific fuel pressure. You very well could be dumping way more fuel than you need into the engine.

I would recommend replacing ALL vacuum lines. The hose is pretty cheap and it can be done without taking anything apart. Just remember to do it one at a time so you don't put one in the wrong place :) .

hope this helps,

indigent.

Edited by Indigent

Welp, thanks to the weather moving in tomorrow morning (Sleet, Freezing Rain, and snow starting at 9am Tuesday Morning and lasting till late Wed. Night) the truck is NOT going into the shop tonight.

However, I do have good news.

FREE UPGRADE!

I brought my AutoLight plugs back to Advanced Auto Parts, and mentioned I was looking for NGK Iridiums... and was able to return the autolights in exchange for 6 of their NGK Iridiums :D

Woot for small favors :)

And today I had even BETTER luck at Advance Auto!

Got 10% off NGK Resistor Spark plug wires (70 bucks instead of 85 after tax)...

AND I found $20 on the floor in the store which, after talking to several customers nearby, nobody claimed.

$20+$20 gift card = $30 spark plug wires :D

Also have a 15,000 GVW tranny cooler and a tranny filter replace kit for another $50 total :D So basically a decent tune up for all of $100 :)

If that doesn't fix it (plugs n wires) not a big deal - a new Fuel Pressure Regulator is all of $50 there... and if the plugs and wires aren't it, that's likely the culprit according to my mechanic + from what I can gather reading up and suggestions here :)

I have this problem currently with my 3000GT. IT IS THE EGR Valve. Trust. Replace it now even if its a hole in the wallet. If your like me you wont replace it and in a few weeks or so expect your spark plugs to give and an ignition coil to go. Might also have to replace your cats if you dont replace it now.

So do this, save yourself the hassle and plenty of money. Just replace the EGR Valve and get it over with.

It should also throw on a check engine in a little bit give it a day or two. Sooner you change it better it will be to your wallet. Giving it a few weeks or months depending on the car days maybe other things will start to go!

I ordered mine yesterday from Mentor Mitsubishi.

*shrugs* I know my truck has a personality... she actually hated a previous girlfriend of mine, to the point that my truck would REFUSE to start when she was sitting in it... it was weird!

*shrugs* I know my truck has a personality... she actually hated a previous girlfriend of mine, to the point that my truck would REFUSE to start when she was sitting in it... it was weird!

:rofl:

It's okay man, my truck talks to some of my friend's trucks and then they break down too!

:rofl:

It's okay man, my truck talks to some of my friend's trucks and then they break down too!

Lol, you laugh - I didn't when it decided to leave us stranded 5 miles from her home... wasn't till she got out to use a payphone that the truck started up 0o'