LSD for rear axle.

jproy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'd probably cost just as much to SAS with (Detroit) locked D60s front/rear, as it would to install ARB lockers front/rear on the stock axles. :D

You're most definitely right; I just don't want to put an air tank in my rig. That sh*t ain't cheap...

if you just want air for your lockers, you can get a small compressor for $100-150. it only gets expensive when you start installing hi-output compressors and auxiliary tanks.

Oh ok... What's another $100-150 after already spending a grand, right? ;)

So I guess the choice is evident. Lockers it is! :aok:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I happen to always check this site although the info is mostly @!*% - this is the first 'real' info providing conversation - anyway, I wanted to ask a question of my own. I go the opposite direction in terms of my 01 (se 5spd 3.5) usage because I do ZERO offroading and wanted to improve on road everything/anything. These guys (4x4) seemed to have the most pathy related stuff I could find and in their defense, when I called I received very good customer service and had all of my questions addressed - patiently and thoroughly - as I had just purchased my first pathy. They seemed to also cater to my need for handling as well (ie LOWERING SPRINGS/bilstein rr lowering shox/lsd etc **BTW has anyone done this lowering/results???? question1).

So heres the question (#2) - If I mostly do onroad, then would this weaker rr lsd (which I was planning on ordering form 4x4) improve my performance onroad and in the snow?? From my experience with my rwd bmw, when I replaced my open for an lsd (clutch type), as long as I drove moderately in the snow there was a marked improvement in traction/stability - I was hoping to accomplish this with my r50 as it currently is pathetic unless I engage the 4x4 (and even then sideways, making me also consider the front lsd as well). Also, I want to improve dry traction in the summer as well (on top of the lowering of course). Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated , thank you for your patience.

I happen to always check this site although the info is mostly @!*% - this is the first 'real' info providing conversation - anyway, I wanted to ask a question of my own. I go the opposite direction in terms of my 01 (se 5spd 3.5) usage because I do ZERO offroading and wanted to improve on road everything/anything. These guys (4x4) seemed to have the most pathy related stuff I could find and in their defense, when I called I received very good customer service and had all of my questions addressed - patiently and thoroughly - as I had just purchased my first pathy. They seemed to also cater to my need for handling as well (ie LOWERING SPRINGS/bilstein rr lowering shox/lsd etc **BTW has anyone done this lowering/results???? question1).

Nissan Pathfinder Off-Road Association > Pathfinder Discussion By Model Year > 96-2004 R50 Pathfinders > LSD for rear axle.

I think I know why you have trouble finding information here that is helpful to you. :rofl:

So heres the question (#2) - If I mostly do onroad, then would this weaker rr lsd (which I was planning on ordering form 4x4) improve my performance onroad and in the snow?? From my experience with my rwd bmw, when I replaced my open for an lsd (clutch type), as long as I drove moderately in the snow there was a marked improvement in traction/stability - I was hoping to accomplish this with my r50 as it currently is pathetic unless I engage the 4x4 (and even then sideways, making me also consider the front lsd as well). Also, I want to improve dry traction in the summer as well (on top of the lowering of course). Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated , thank you for your patience.

To answer your question, yes, an LSD will aid in on-road traction, just like it will aid in off-road traction (to a certain extent). The information above about re-building the LSD with additional clutch packs still applies to "tighten-up" the LSD and increase the break-away torque.

With your BMW, you're probably used to a fairly tight LSD. The OEM R50 LSD is anything but.

You'd probably notice a marked improvement in winter traction with a good set of all-terrain M&S tires, such as a Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO, if you can find one in the size you need after lowering your truck. (Boy, that sounds strange for this forum!) That would be my first step, before starting into the Diffs. Get a good set of tires, and see where that leaves you. Then if you're still not satisfied, you can add the LSD.

sell the pathfinder and buy a corolla.

Boys! Take it somewhere else! To each his own, right. P...

I don't know; I think he had a bit of gentle ribbing coming after saying this site had almost no useful information. Long as it doesn't get mean, fair game imo.

Yes, this site is heavily biased towards off-road recreation and performance, and that could make finding information relevant to street performance difficult, but it's first and foremost a Pathfinder site. And there's no reason not to help a fellow Pathfinder owner because of his or her intended use of his or her Pathfinder...

Besides, better street performance translates into better towing stability and performance as well, something we can all appreciate!

Let's try to keep this thread on-topic and keep the bashing OFF of the public forums, shall we?

I won't speak for the others, but personally it was the attitude more than the question. People ask questions here about road performance every day and get prompt, polite answers. They just don't preface it with "your site is normally @!*%." :lol:

I won't speak for the others, but personally it was the attitude more than the question. People ask questions here about road performance every day and get prompt, polite answers. They just don't preface it with "your site is normally @!*%." :lol:

exactly. my "corolla" comment was actually my 3rd draft. i toned it down twice before i felt safe in posting it. :rofl:

exactly. my "corolla" comment was actually my 3rd draft. i toned it down twice before i felt safe in posting it. :rofl:

You got a problem with Corollas? Hehe, J/K! An opinion's an opinion, so it's all good. :aok:

I'd rather own a sweet sports car before a slammed truck any day... My plans are just that. :lol:

I don't know how stiff the lowering setup is, but I think the stock R50 is fairly agile for an SUV, and I would love to drive one that is even tighter (and the 5 speed makes it a blast to drive as well)...I do not have any useful info for you unfortunately, but good luck and let us know how it turns out :aok:

First of all, let me address my attitude issue by apologizing for my initial comment. I agree that this site is biased towards off roading, and this only added to my frustration about the r50 ownership. I thank the people who have provided the answers I needed and for those who had fun with it, hope all is good with you too - one thing, about the corolla, WTF???!!!??? AND this was your 3rd draft? Although funny, I just....I don't know! Ok, moving right along, I appreciate the feedback on tires being the first place to start and I fully agree, however, I plan on slapping on some after market rims (another disaster UNLESS you plan on 'blingin' it up with some oversized chrome) no more than 18 inch and BLACK with some all out summer only tires and keep the stock ones with skinny snows. I have so far tuned the engine (new maf also from 01 maxima $100 vs $600 from the dealer for same part), custom exhaust (you guessed it, no one does it!!), and awaiting lsd, poly bushings for the most part including pan hard f/r, custom bilstein rr shox, new front strut KYB assembly, and maybe replace the seats with lighter ones (wife willing). Again thank you for the info and I promise to be more appreciative as mumzy would insist.

my point was that if you want something that handles and performs like a car, then why buy an SUV, then try and make it less SUV-like and more car-like? you should've started off with a car in the first place - or a minivan. i own a corolla so it was nothing against corollas. :D

my point was that if you want something that handles and performs like a car, then why buy an SUV, then try and make it less SUV-like and more car-like? you should've started off with a car in the first place - or a minivan. i own a corolla so it was nothing against corollas. :D

X2

Except for the Corolla part... :lol:

And don't buy a minivan if you're hoping to modify it. Go with a wagon... Subie! :aok:

Granted that I should go for a sports car if I want sports car attributes HOWEVER folks there is no substitute for body on frame (although pathy is also unibody HENCE the agility) - In my initial research for a SAFE car, nothing could come close to one provided by an SUV. This was my primary concern in purchasing a vehicle (wife drives also) and my options came down to either a crown victoria or a unibody pathy (land rover is also body on frame + unibody but was not into it for reliability issues) BUT the seal was with the rare manual tranny compounded with the vq35 engine - Ok nuff ssplainin meself folks but my situation called for the ideal compromise and this met my needs - Now, I want to enhance the handling as much as is realistic in this r50 so I can have some of what I am leaving behind in the sports car department and it seems feasible. As me mumzy would say, "why the hell not then boy!!!???" This was very interesting and I will post not only before and after pix, I will also throw in some youtube video reviews for anyone wanting to go in this direction (hopefully complete by spring) - stay posted as I will start a new thread for this - see you there girls!! and thank you again for all the help

Granted that I should go for a sports car if I want sports car attributes HOWEVER folks there is no substitute for body on frame (although pathy is also unibody HENCE the agility) - In my initial research for a SAFE car, nothing could come close to one provided by an SUV. This was my primary concern in purchasing a vehicle (wife drives also) and my options came down to either a crown victoria or a unibody pathy (land rover is also body on frame + unibody but was not into it for reliability issues) BUT the seal was with the rare manual tranny compounded with the vq35 engine - Ok nuff ssplainin meself folks but my situation called for the ideal compromise and this met my needs - Now, I want to enhance the handling as much as is realistic in this r50 so I can have some of what I am leaving behind in the sports car department and it seems feasible. As me mumzy would say, "why the hell not then boy!!!???" This was very interesting and I will post not only before and after pix, I will also throw in some youtube video reviews for anyone wanting to go in this direction (hopefully complete by spring) - stay posted as I will start a new thread for this - see you there girls!! and thank you again for all the help

:aok: I truly appreciate what you are doing...good luck with the process and def. start another thread, I am lifting my 5 speed but I still want more performance out of it, people without the VQ don't get it :sly:

Edited by laxman0324