Hello everyone (sd92129)

sd92129

1998 SE 4X4 (canadian), black/ tan leather, tire carrier, limited slip, block heater, bose, auto, class 3 hitch, wind deflector, side bars.

I am fairly mechanical. Vehicle has never been in the shop as I do all the work myself. Solo-ed the timing belt last winter in a leisurely 8 hours.

I've searched the archives, but still have some unanswered questions (maybe there is new info or knowledge out there):

Bose volume knob going.

DRLs no longer working, now its like a US model.

Looking for a set of OEM rims, 17s preferrably, but will consider 16s (I am in SoCal).

Are power windows adjustable. I seem to have one that rolls all the way up, but when you let off the button, the window slides down a hair, but enough to cause some wind noise on the highway.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

Edited by sd92129

Welcome man, all i can say about your problems is my Bose does the same thing, if I adjust slowly it works and if i kind of apply pressure to the left while doing it it works...

I do that "kind of" stuff also. Pressure in all directions as well as a slight pulling or pushing.

I can live with it, but sometimes the volume gets uncontrollably loud and I resort to shutting the unit off until I have the courage to start it up again and attempt to lower the volume.

I dont know whether to drop some money to get a replacement unit from ebay for 100-180$ (which is a 10 year old unit designed with the same potential flaw) or yank the stuff out. Needless to say, in subsequent vehicles, I did not value Bose as an upgrade that I would be willing to pay extra for. Another option is to try replacing the encoder such as posted on fixya.com.

If I was going to spend 100-180 I would just get the whole head unit replaced, just me though...and the Bose unit in my 99 ML320 never had this problem, and I think these are Nissan designed products with the Bose name slapped on them, I doubt Bose had a lot to do with it...

If I was going to spend 100-180 I would just get the whole head unit replaced, just me though...and the Bose unit in my 99 ML320 never had this problem, and I think these are Nissan designed products with the Bose name slapped on them, I doubt Bose had a lot to do with it...

apparently, the head units are clarion. either way, someone was supposed to be responsible for quality control.

Anyways, it is interesting to hear other peoples experiences and the actions they took.

apparently, the head units are clarion. either way, someone was supposed to be responsible for quality control.

Anyways, it is interesting to hear other peoples experiences and the actions they took.

well it sounds like mine isnt as far along as yours, the only time its really bad is if i turn the knob really quickly

If you like tinkering, you can take the unit apart and clean the encoder with a quality electronics cleaner. Don't get the Radio Shack trash. I have used some stuff from Crutchfield to clean my stereo components(also Crutchfield) and the encoders in micrometers among other sensitive electronic equipmend. Encoders are guck magnets. Just a little cleaning and they work like new. Hope this helps.

If you like tinkering, you can take the unit apart and clean the encoder with a quality electronics cleaner. Don't get the Radio Shack trash. I have used some stuff from Crutchfield to clean my stereo components(also Crutchfield) and the encoders in micrometers among other sensitive electronic equipmend. Encoders are guck magnets. Just a little cleaning and they work like new. Hope this helps.

Silverlion,

Did you do this on the Bose stereo? just remove the knob and shoot or is there a special angle or place you have to get that cleaner into?

thanks,

I didn't do it to a Bose, but the same principle applies to them all. You can try to spray it without taking the unit apart, but you may need to take it apart enough to expose the encoder. 9 times out of 10, when they get taken to the repair shop, the dude just sprays the components with cleaner and works the knobs back and forth until it works. Then they charge the crap out of you. I would try to take the unit apart. If there are soft keys near the area you are cleaning, the cleaner can destroy the rubber. I wish I took pics of when I did my Crutchfield receiver. I aint too good at splaineen theens.

Edited by silverlion

I didn't do it to a Bose, but the same principle applies to them all. You can try to spray it without taking the unit apart, but you may need to take it apart enough to expose the encoder. 9 times out of 10, when they get taken to the repair shop, the dude just sprays the components with cleaner and works the knobs back and forth until it works. Then they charge the crap out of you. I would try to take the unit apart. If there are soft keys near the area you are cleaning, the cleaner can destroy the rubber. I wish I took pics of when I did my Crutchfield receiver. I aint too good at splaineen theens.

Thanks for the input.

Some of those CRC contact cleaners are mostly alcohol based (which supports their claim of being safe on plastics, and presumably rubber). I 'll remove the unit so I can tilt so the cleaner runs out and away from teh rest of the unit (as the knob is on the corner ).

I like what you are saying about the shops just cleaning it "9 times out of 10". But is this from first hand experience?

Thanks again,

-pete