How to hold cam sprocket?

jwestpnw

I'm doing my timing belt and now that I have everything off I have noticed that the passenger side cam seal is leaking. :angry: I have air tools so getting the bolt out of the cam shouldn't be any problem. My question is how do I hold the cam sprocket in order to torque it back on?

Thanks for all the help on this.

You can get a belt wrench or use the old timing belt (wrap it around it and hold it tight) Another option ould be to stick a screwdriver through one of the holes and rest it against one of the backplate mounting bolt heads (a socket would also work here)

Air tools are IMO kind of overkill on removing the cam bolt, you can use of one the methods above to hold the gear and loosen the bolt.

I've done the Timing belt job 3 times on the same vehicle in about 2 weeks. First time I did it, I too had a HUGE hard time with the Cam Sprockets. I couldn't provide enough Grip with the old timing belt to get them to break free until I used a ratchet strap on the timing belt and hooked it around the frame.

When I did my timing belt it was orignally because I had a Anti Freeze leak that I thought was coming from the Water Pump. I did my Cam seals as well as my Crank seal at the same time. If your doing the Timing belt you may want to look into the water pump too since you'll be ripping it all apart anyway. I think I've read somewhere that they have a Life span that is just a little more then the Timing belt.

When I put my Pig back together I had a Leak at the Crankshaft seal and to say the least that sucked BIGTIME. Ripped it apart again. Thru a new seal in and back together again. I might add I shaved a LOT of time off the second time doing it. After having it back together I started it up and I was golden...... EXCEPT> after it warmed up, the thermostat would open and I found out the Anti Freeze leak was not from the pump at all but rather I had a hole in that SMALL Radiator hose Elbow right by the Distributer which is tucked in there so well that YES you have to rip it all apart again to get off and on. SOOOOO 3rd times a charm and I'll have you know by that time I was able to rip it apart and back together in 2 hours 37 minutes.

I hate changing them now. and to make things easier I just went out and Bought a Cam Sprocket Holding tool. It works wonders. NAPA carries them.

Edited by Dowser