Slow filling at gas station

rayace

I have been having problems with filling my gas tank over the last year. Also, my Service Engine Light has been on and off over the last year. When filling the tank, it will only take it at a very slow rate. If I remove the handle all the way out and allow the gas to continue to flow, I can actually see it coming back up the pipe. I have read forums which suggest changing the vent control valve and evaporator cannister. Others suggest a valve in the tank might be stuck which prevents gas from flowing out in a rollover situation. Can this valve be cleaned and reapplied or does it need replacement ? Any idea on the cost of valve ? Thanks in advance.

The valve in the tank is call the On Board Refueling Valve. It is not replacable on its own. You hvae to get the whole tank. I would make sure the breather on your fuel filler neck is not blocked. Its the smaller tube thats on the neck. Also, how many times has this happened? When filling, you can only put so much fuel in at a time. Some refueling stations have pumps that fill faster. You may want to try a different station and see if it still occurs.

I have been having problems with filling my gas tank over the last year. Also, my Service Engine Light has been on and off over the last year. When filling the tank, it will only take it at a very slow rate. If I remove the handle all the way out and allow the gas to continue to flow, I can actually see it coming back up the pipe. I have read forums which suggest changing the vent control valve and evaporator cannister. Others suggest a valve in the tank might be stuck which prevents gas from flowing out in a rollover situation. Can this valve be cleaned and reapplied or does it need replacement ? Any idea on the cost of valve ? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to NPORA. I have the same problem but have yet to have it looked at. I however have not had a CEL yet.

The valve in the tank is call the On Board Refueling Valve. It is not replacable on its own. You hvae to get the whole tank. I would make sure the breather on your fuel filler neck is not blocked. Its the smaller tube thats on the neck. Also, how many times has this happened? When filling, you can only put so much fuel in at a time. Some refueling stations have pumps that fill faster. You may want to try a different station and see if it still occurs.

Can you (or anyone) explain where this valve is and how it works in detail? How do I check the smaller breather, plunge it with a brass rod or something?

It does it at every gas station, every time I fill up. I just removed the vent control valve. The little white plastic tip inside appears to move up and down without a problem. Vehicle is running well, just annoying light and filling up problem. I will take apart the hose near the neck and see how it looks.

do you have a bodylift? I knew a guy w/ a bronco that had this problem becsue the filler hose was not extended so it "stretced" actually it more like flattend out. He decided to just get in the habbit of filling slow.

It does it at every gas station, every time I fill up. I just removed the vent control valve. The little white plastic tip inside appears to move up and down without a problem. Vehicle is running well, just annoying light and filling up problem. I will take apart the hose near the neck and see how it looks.

Please post back with your findings or any pictures... I would be greatful!! :blush:

Please post back with your findings or any pictures... I would be greatful!! :blush:

I removed the plastic piece in the wheel well and the tubes running to the filler neck are made of steel with no chance of getting coated in dirt. They are eventually connected to rubber tubes which lead to the evap cannister, vent control and electrical wiring. Still have not had any solutions for this problem with the exception of changing vent control valve and/or evap cannister. I need to have the engine codes checked to see what error is provided and see if it is related to the filling problem.

Here is a view of the Evap system including the On Board Refueling valve. I havnt found the exact way to test it in the manual, but im looking for it. I may have to print if off of ASIST, scan it and post it when I find it. But this gives you the general idea.....

refuelingvalve.gif

I would go get the code pulled and copy it down and let us know what it is. Hopefully that will help isolate the possibilties. Most parts stores will hook up a scanner and tell you what the code is for free.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Well, this IS the R50 section... :scratchhead:

Have you had the Fuel Neck Recall done?

This is a very good suggestion. I'd look into it if i were you. Just call the dealer with your vin to see if your pathy is covered.

Good luck

No neck filler recall according to the dealership for this year. Anybody know where I can have the codes pulled for free in Ontario ? If not, I might look into buying an OBD2 scanner.

I live in London and have a scanner, if that is near you.

If you decide to buy a scanner, check princess auto for cheap ones locally.