Nissan ATF color?

Bluemill

I had my 2001 SE in for the fuel filler pipe recall. The tech went over the whole car checking it out for service needs. One claim was that the ATF fluid was brown and needed to be changed. Later I pulled the dipstick, and it appeared almost absolutely clear, like brake fluid, and with no burnt smell.

I was expecting either a brownish red or the usual red of Dexron. Is Nissan ATF Clear? I found this dip stick on the right side of the engine. The tranny shifts very nicely, and there are about 92,000 miles on the vehicle.

Thanks,

Bluemill

The ATF fluid on the VQ is on the passenger side--or Right side when facing the engine. This sounds like the engine oil to me. The ATF fluid dip stick is metal and metal color and has a small bent clip that must be moved out of the way to pull the dipstick up.

The fluid level must also be checked on perfectly level ground with the engine and tranny 100% warmed up also.

The ATF fluid on the VQ is on the passenger side--or Right side when facing the engine. This sounds like the engine oil to me. The ATF fluid dip stick is metal and metal color and has a small bent clip that must be moved out of the way to pull the dipstick up.

The fluid level must also be checked on perfectly level ground with the engine and tranny 100% warmed up also.

When you are facing the engine, the passenger side is on the left. The passenger side of the vehicle is called the right side because it is taken from the driver's perspective. I know this is what you meant, but it's not what you said. :)

When you are facing the engine, the passenger side is on the left. The passenger side of the vehicle is called the right side because it is taken from the driver's perspective. I know this is what you meant, but it's not what you said. :)

Dude--Thank you! :FartExplode-vi: In my business (furniture) everythings point of reference is from in front of it so,...sorry for the confusion---you probably pulled the right dipstick then!!

Brown is OK depending on the mileage of your truck, I think they're just trying to get you to buy another service....Black...not so much.

Couldn't hurt to have it flushed anyways. I had mine flushed b/c it was brown, yet the shop said all fluids were "Good" and it shifted SO much better.