One more stereo Q

Guest Trip

I got the wiring harness...hooked everything up and Im not even getting power to the head unit......is there any reason that I would have no power to the radio just because I dont have the factory amps grounded and powered yet.....checked the inline fuse..Im starting to wonder if the headunit is bad....its been stored for a couple of years

You could hook the HU straight up to your battery [a fuse would be a good idea], to check the wiring since you said you're using a wiring harness. This only helps you if you know which one is the power wire, but since you said you had a harness that should be obvious. I'd try that; I know I did it to test out mine before I installed it; actually used a 12v DC power supply but that's the same diff.

I also noticed that when I installed mine, if I wired the ground from the deck to the wiring harness it would not work. I had to take the ground from the head unit and drill a hole in the metal frame in the dash, and ground it there. That could be your problem as well...... :shrug:

Give it a shot, but I'd test to make sure that your deck works first. :aok:

I had the same problem with my 87 and I went thru two HU thinking that I had a bad HU. so I wired it around the harness including the speaker lead. Right or wrong mine works just fine. Something that should have taken me about 15 minutes turned out to be an all day job. including two trips to circuit city.

The best thing is to grab a test light and start testing to make sure that all the wire match up..

Yep, try running it directly at the battery or known power source to rule out the stereo, and check the ground. If I remember right, I think I had to run my own ground as well. I'd try all options using the harness first before hacking into the stock wiring.